KEF LS50

Don't post often here but thought I would let you all know I stumbled on a pretty amazing performer in this little monitor.

I would say the midrange is on par with my Harbeth 40.1, treble has a tad more leading edge bite than the best soft dome but its a really good top end that never gets nasty. Dynamically they are performing way better than they should. I'm betting they would compete with the new 30.1 sonically, just a guess.

Have them running with 20X price electronics in a small office and they are not outclassed in any way. Made me want to keep throwing my best gear with them they sounded so good.

If you are in the market grab a pair, you will not regret. Saw two pair this morning for sale for around 1K, I can't think of anything in 20 years offering this much performance for 1K. You could build a world class non-full range sound around these.
petland
I don't have a local Kef dealer...but how do these perform with bass driven rock, reggae, electronica?...I realise these properly were not initially designed for that...but in a small environment, do others feel there is sufficient low end? Also, are these ruthlessly punishing on less than stellar recordings?
I heard them briefly once in my home in a larger and smaller room. I think they do very well for their size in that regard and overall in a room suited to their size. There is only so much a small speaker like that can do alone in a larger room. Adding a sub or two when needed would resolve any issues in larger rooms I would think.

THey do seem to like a lot of power and current though, as do most small speakers with extended bass response. They sounded best in my smaller room off my 500 w/ch BEl Canto amps. Not so good in my larger room of 180 w/ch TAD Hibachi monoblocks. The 180 w/ch would probably have done well in the smaller room (12X12) but did not get to try that combo.
Just listened to Cream "White Room" with these speakers (and an SVS sub) - the most realistic that I have heard to date. GB's toms sound was very deteiled - the decay was as I expect them to sound. And with other genres, I think the do really well as long as they are played within their capabilities. I am currently listening pretty nearlfield and in my room they sound superb with everything I have thrown at 'em. I have the sub barely on, but it does help on the electronica, etc.