KEF 104/2 tweeters

Good afternoon everyone. I just picked up a pair of KEF 104/2 speakers on CL. They are fully functional and I currently have them integrated in my system (Parasound Halo preamp and Nakamichi PA-5 amp).  I am concerned about the tweeters (one is slightly dented) and the ferrofluid. I've read some DIY fluid advice and am contemplating doing the work.  However, I've also heard that these tweeters are not top quality.  I've considered replacing them all together with Morel MTD 30s buy I can't seem to find any.  I would like to find a direct fit so I don't have to retro fit anything. Not sure about other available tweeters.... Also, do you believe it's worth while to do the surrounds while I have it pulled apart. Or any other suggestions for how to rehab them?? Thank you much! 

icarus12

Showing 10 responses by icarus12

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback.  I did check out one video on changing out the ferrofluid but it didn't recommend what type of ferrofluid to use as replacement nor did it state how much to add??? Perhaps it's obvious when I get it apart. 
Terrific advice from everyone. I plan to change out the ferrofluid this weekend. Just inspected my surrounds and they are, in fact, the rubber type that must have come in the earlier non-biamped model.  The center donuts look decent as well. Thanks to all of you for helping 
Hi there.  I completed the ferrofluid replacement on both KEF 104/2 speakers based on your suggestions. Thank you.  Now... My right speaker is playing in a very muddy and muted way.  I thought I had noted it prior to the fluid change and had hoped that would remedy the issue but still there is a noticeable audible issue with vocals especially and overall output from the right speaker. All of the surrounds are intact (rubber) as are the donuts.  I swapped them temporarily to another set of speakers to make sure the issue wasn't elsewhere (amp, cables etc) but it's fine with other speakers. Could this be an issue with the caps?  I havent opened up the case around the mids to check them out.  Much obliged! 
Thanks ljgerens. I will check the connections tomorrow (the connections for the tweeters looked very clean) and take a close look at the mids to see what kind of shape they're in. 
I will check that tomorrow. Good idea!  I don't believe the donuts have been replaced but they appear in good shape. They arent crumbly or falling apart when I touch them. In my best estimation it doesn't seem they have been opened up at all. 
Pulled it apart again and all the connections look good, tight and clean.  I've read that you can't get into the mids because they aren't framed. Im not really sure how to access them. I've watched several videos of full 104/2 restorations but they don't do anything with the mids or even look at them in the videos. Am I missing something here?  Thank you again for your patience..
Hi George.  Thank you.  Yes, there is sound from the speaker in question, it's just muddled almost as if the speaker has a giant box over it when listening. 
... additional thought.  If I absolutely can't get the bottom panel off has anyone successfully replaced the bottom donut without taking out the woofer assembly?  I know it's not ideal but it might be my only option.  Thank you in advance!
Upon further inspection it seems the donuts are indeed rotten and fall apart to the touch. Ordered some new ones and ordered and received a new set of tweeters.  In the process of disassembling the speakers. For the life of me, I cannot get the bottom cover off.  Is it glued in in addition to the screws? It is FIRMLY in place and I don't really want to rip it apart trying to remove it. Has anyone else had this issue?? Thank you 
Thanks ljgerens.  Yes I did get the Midwest tweeters.  I will certainly let you know how they sound.  They should be a direct fit hopefully. Not sure if I will need to do some soldering... I've tried leaving the spikes in and I have yarded on them to try and pry it loose. To no avail.. I'm afraid.  Any other suggestions.? One thread stated the factory uses a bead of automotive blue sealant around the bottom panel.. 😒