Kef 104/2 Replacements

I have had my Kef 104/2's for almost 20 years and have always gone back to them over other speakers I've tried. Unfortunately for me they are finally in need of permanent replacement. I am looking for a similar sounding replacment that will work well in my existing system. I'm using a Bryston 4B ST, Manley Shrimp, Classe CDP 10, and all Harmonic Technology cables. I'm hoping to spend between $1200-2500 if possible. As always - any help is greatly appreciated.

Clayeton
128x128clayeton
Agree with above ATC, Harbeth, ProAc, Spendor - british sound. I would say Harbeth's would be the best fit. Definitely audition the new Harbeth Compact 7. ATC SCM 19's would make even better use of that beefy power amp, although I think the Harbeth's come closer to the KEF sound you like. Both might be a bit above your budget. Try Energy Veritas 1.8's too - if you can find 'em - a great bargain of a speaker.
Why leave KEF? Maybe your present 104/2's will cost too much to repair but there are some great replacements on the market. I owned a pair of the original 105's when they first came out and selling them was one of my big regrets. I now own pairs of 105.2 and 105.3's and I am in the market for a pair of 104/2. That said, I am not stuck in the past as I have had many newer speakers but I like being able to go back to that early KEF sound.
Proac D 28 used if you can find em or up a few bucks the latest Proac D 38 should make sure you feel wonderful again.
Best Johnnyr
Redo the 104.2's. I have two sets and am going through the rebuild now. It's not really a big deal money wise if you can remove your own speakers, (not difficult).

I'm having the butyl rubber surrounds redone by the local pros. I'm replacing as many caps as I can and installing new tweeters as ALL the old ones (20 years or more) are not working correctly. The ferro fluid had leaked out badly in mine and hardened, happens to all of them. There are several great sounding Vifa's available that fit easily.

The rejuvenated sound will amaze you. All that magnificent imaging, high end extension, and bass will be back better than ever.

Total cost = less than $400. Very much worth it if you loved their sound when new. You will have to spend many thousands to outdo it.