KAB SL-1200MK2 vs. new SL-1200GR

Hello,

I'm currently am using a KAB modded SL-1200MK2 and wondering how the newer SL-1200GR would compare.
Looking for anyone that went the KAB route and switched to the GR.

My KAB mods are as follows:
-Tonearm damping system
-Cardas tonearm rewire
-Cardas ICs hardwired to TT
-Complete Isonoe footer system
-PS1200GX Power System
-Poly Glass Mat w/ Thin rubber mat

That’s about as far as I can/want to go with KAB mods. The mods + the original 1200 price is equivalent to a new 1200GR. The new GR, as I understand has a much better stock tonearm, better plinth construction, new drive system.

All thoughts,opinions, suggestions welcome! Thank you in advance.

Rob

128x128robelvick

Showing 4 responses by audiozen

Check out the new Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable. Its design is taken from the SL-1200 and its built like a tank. Weighs 29 lbs. The Technics tables have a rumble/noise ratio of -78 db, the highest out of any direct drive motor, a common figure with belt drives. The Pioneer is the highest outside the Technics table's with a rumble/noise ratio of -70 db. Much higher than the direct drives from Stanton or Audio Technica. The Pioneer
has a better platter then the Technics model's with a very thick rubber coating on the underside of the platter for much higher damping and much lower noise. A very good table for only $699.00.
chakster..I agree that Stanton is crap, as well as the Pioneer PLX-500, but Pioneer markets and explains on their website the PLX-1000 was designed for both in home Audiophile's and DJ's. It is slightly heavier than the Technics with its solid all zinc chassis. Compared to other Pioneer model's, it goes beyond being just a "disco" table. For example, the PLX-500 has a rumble/noise figure of only -50 db which is garbage. Once you start getting above -65db then your in high end territory. Regardless of brand, the critical measurement over all else is the noise/rumble db level.
The Sota tables have db levels between -80 and -90 which is killer. Only a very well designed table and motor will get you at or above above -65 db's. Typical DJ tables don't even come close to those number's which is why the PLX-1000 is an exception. 
invictus005-Afford ability. At $699.00 it will get you a lot at less than half the price of the Technics models. Personally, I'm purchashing a Technics table at the same time my integrated amp, the Virtuoso from Belles is released, which I found out this morning has been delayed until mid-April.
The phono board in the unit is killer.
invictus005-I agree. My final system I'm setting up going into semi-retirement has electronics and speaker's all hand made in the USA and Japan. I have never liked the idea of putting my money in a off-shore bank in a Communist country. God Bless America!