K&K Phono

Hi all,
I am thinking about assembling the K&K Phono pre (Basic version with stepups) and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with their phono stages. I am wondering what, if any, improvements I could look forward to over my Lehmann black cube.
Thanks,
Byron
mantisory

Showing 2 responses by jj2468

I've not used the Lehmann black cube, so I cannot comment on it. I own a kandk using the 6n1p tube and I really enjoy it. I feel it is a great value and Kevin is very helpful. I used to own a modified EAR834P and the KandK phono stage is much, much better in my setup. I feel it is at least comparable to my friend's rhea in quality - of course it is a different flavor. Highly recommended.
Strenghts IMHO: prat, transparency, timbre, quiet, instrument harmonics, detail and recording room ambience. I feel it is neutral to my ears and setup. I agree with other posters who say if you want something warm, like conrad johnson, you probably want to look elsewhere.

In my version, it requires more work to change the gain (not impedance). I've thought about upgrading mine to the current version to have that flexibility, which I think is a nice improvement to the layout of the current version (not a sonic change). Jeff