Just saw Jesse Cook...yeaow!

Just got home from a Jesse Cook concert.  For some unknown reason he's never come across my radar until recently.  I saw him at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center..nice venue.   Wow.  What a concert & artist(s).  Mix Flamenco with Arabia and South Asia..toss in a smudge of Dead Can Dance.  If you're not familiar..check the group out..or better yet..see them if you can. Fun show, great music, played nearly 2 hours. Such talent.  
fishboat
Glad you enjoyed the show.

Never hard him live but have spent some time listening to this album.

Some of it I like quite a lot.  Other bits seem awfully smooth jazz/new age-y.  

Different strokes, I guess.  No question about his talent, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GpH5Etk8gc

..smooth jazzy.. yah..apparently he came out of the Narada thing years ago, though it appears he's developed beyond this, from what I saw/heard.

I too have a decided .."meh" ear for smooth jazz...too syrupy for me. Traditional jazz..50's-60's is sooo much better.

As for 'world'..  some of this can be much too, however I enjoy hearing unfamiliar, traditional instruments and music styles on their own or mixed with their western counterparts.  It's what music/art/design has always been and has always done..combine influences of different style-cultures into something new.  It appears Jesse gets 'classified'  as nuevo-flamenco..yah..seems reasonable. 
..ohh  and hearing his group live..two thumbs up..each member of his group is overflowing with talent in a wide range of instruments/vocals/percussion.  You can tell they really enjoy what they're doing.  Fun show. The audience was on their feet for much of the show.   
@fishboat 
Glad you were not offended.  Didn't know Jesse Cook's Narada roots.  That explains things a bit.  The best tracks on Gravity are engaging and not at all smooth jazz/new age.  They display has his own "voice" as it were.  If you like "classic"/traditional jazz you'll probably enjoy the Jazz Aficionados thread if you haven't come across that yet.