Just how good is the Technics SL-1200?

I keep reading posts about how good this TT is. I read as far as direct drive TTs go its very good. How resolving is it. I also read you can get it modded. Just how good is it? Is it in same league as Linn or Rega? Anyone ever do a shoot out between the 2?
128x128blueranger

Showing 1 response by fleib

I doubt if you'll find any 1200 fan who thinks it will run with an SP-10, SP-15, or Kenwood L07D etc, etc. The 1200 is an SP-25 factory set up for DJ/disco. It has great immunity to feedback, pitch stability, adjust-ability, and VTA on the fly. It does not have a 10 or 30lb platter for depth and authority, but it also doesn't have the often associated ponderous presentation, speed issues, and lack of PRAT. If the 1200 plinth is overdamped, and the arm wire questionable, it may compliment the sound of some carts/systems and/or be modified.

I've seen pics of 1200s with SME V, Syrinx and other high end arms. Ridiculous? I'm sure their owners don't think so. Before being discontinued the 1200/1210 went for $500 to $700? Can a similarly priced belt driver keep time like a 1200? Not even with an additional speed box. How much does an Oracle Delphi Mk V cost?

One advantage of the 1200, it's possible to get one of recent manufacture. All the rest is belt vs direct and YMMV. There is no Rega in this price range that can compete with what the 1200 does right. People have different listening priorities. To each his own. Spend lots of money and those advantages start to disappear.
Regards,