Joule Electra VZN100 with Merlin VSM-MX.

Is this combo really so superb??
How compares the VZN100-VSM/MX combo with the very best combos out there (Tenot-Kharma, Wilson X1-Halcro, Boulder-Soundlab, etc. I´m considering this combo but here in Europe it´s close to impossible to hear one of them. Is this really one of the very few more natural and realistic combos out there regardless of price?
felipe91253db2b

Showing 3 responses by jsl

I can contribute a bit based onpersonal experience. I've heard Bobby's speakers with A-S and other gear and his speakers are superb. In fact, my nephew snapped up a pair on AG based on my recommendation. Bravo Bobby!

I own the Rites in Musicwood. I heard the VZN100s in a direct head-to-head with a Berning 270. I auditioned Berning, A-S, Cary and others and have heard CAT a few times.

IMHO, the Joule is the most harmonicallty fleshed out amp in the world. I think the other amps are terrific in there own right and personal preference and price is a consideration. But, Joule is the best. There is no hump or bump anywhere in the sonic envelope, but they powerfully render the acoustic envelope and this can fool you.

I suggest strongly that the midrange warmth you hear is a room interaction or mechanical vibration seeping back into the signal chain or a cabling issue. Joule's don't bloat. They are harmonically fleshed out and very right.

The others may sound more right in certain areas because they are thinner and excite the environment a bit less.

I do very much agree that wire plays an imporatnt part in getting the soundstage right. Bobby knows what works best with his gear, but I own Elrod and it is killer.
Bobby,

I just can't let you slide on Elrods being lighter in the midbass than Cardas. I've had both in my system. Elrods are harmonic firehoses. If it's in there, it'll come out, stand clear! And their ability to support coherence and musicality bring an emotional connection with recorded material I truly love.

But, I honor your expertise on all matters Merlin. I have not experienced the pleasure of Merlin in my system. You make a truly outstanding product and your tenacity and vision speak volumes in the design. You surely know what works best in the chain! I do not.

The writer also asks about other higher priced gear and it's all great stuff.

I'll close by suggesting that you could spend less on the Joule/Merlin combo than the other combos and be happy for a lifetime.

Many already have.
There was nothing contentious meant in my comments. If it came across that way, I apologize.

J