Joule Electra LA150 MkII or Lamm LL2 Deluxe?

Hi all, I am looking at a new tube preamp in the $2,500 to $4,000 used range, and I could use your help. I have tried many over the past couple of years, and my current short list includes the Joule and the Lamm. I have a wanted ad posted for the Lamm but no response yet. I have read all the stuff on both, and I am not asking for anyone to tell me what to buy, but I am interested in hearing from users about the characteristics of these two preamps, and certainly from any who have compared them directly or owned both. What to you stands out either in a positive or negative way about either of these units and, if you owned one previously, what made you switch to something else. Important to me are quietness, clarity, dynamics, midrange warmth (at least some), and bass depth, texture, and accuracy. Also, regarding the Joule, are the tubes used in that unit available anywhere else other than from Joule, and are they known for being rugged and quiet? My virtual system is accurately posted, except I am using a Zoe preamp and Cary 500MB monos, instead of the Vibe&Pulse and DNA500 shown. Thanks - Tim
mitch2

Showing 2 responses by dob

"Is the LA150MKII or similar Joule Electra in a totally different league than (I believe) the similarly priced Musical Envoy Preamp from Jolida?"

yes

" Also, the Jolida can be modded by UnderwoodHiFi for not too much more money. I've heard really good things about the modded Jolida "

and so did I. So what does it mean? Take decently made stuff from China(?) and then send it to Canada where Mr. Johnston will modify it and then back or "state-of-the-art" equipment at three different price/performance lever: LA-150Mk2, LA-150 SE, LA-300 ME...

Some of us will buy Audi or BMW and drive away in it. Some of us will buy Kia, bring it to autio modifier for hot-rodding it(spensing slightly more then first guy) and will drive away in it.

Different people has different tastes - its only you can decide what do you want. I know when I auditioned LA-300 I placed order on the spot and I believe its the best audio component I ever owned...

All The Best
Rafael
Hello Lightminer,

Your price comparison would be correct if people would pay MSRP in full. However, in today's economy nobody or rarely pays 100% of the price. Its relatively easy to get discount from dealers.

Assuming that percent of discount is the same for Jolida and Joule-Electra LA-150 Mk2 (where you increased price by avout $300) in ABSOLUE amount of dollars, Joule disount will be larger.

Nest point is that modifiers set up prices they feel they can get some (small?) profit and have no margin to five discount. I never ever heard modifiers giving discount.

Therefore the ACTUAL monetary difference between Joule and Modded Jolida is much narrower they you depicted in your post.

Finally, "you get that you pay for" - as discussed in lenght, there is not too small difference in performance between both units.

All The Best
Rafael