Jolida JD100 stock v. modded

I have a JD100 and am considering Underwood's level 1 or 2 mods. I've searched the archives, but it seems that most people buy this unit either stock or fully modded. Therefore, I would be interested in the comments of those who bought the unit stock and later performed the mods. Are the mods a significant upgrade? What are the characteristics of the modded player over the stock player? Would the modded player be done justice in my otherwise modest system? My amp is the Jolida 302b and speakers are Soliloguy 5.0. (See my "system"). FWIW, I'm also considering modding the amp.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
cruz123

Showing 1 response by trelja

Crwindy, I think you touched on one of the most important subjects in high end audio - the issue of modifications. Your opinions put forth are sensational, congratulations!

People, be careful what you are getting into when you mod equipment by third parties. This is a business, and the goal of the modder is to make money. Make sure the mods you have performed are intelligent, and take the sound in the direction you are looking to go. In the case Crwindy lays out, I don't doubt the end result will not be what many are looking for.

I have had a couple of people contact me in regards to modding the Music Hall MMF25 CD player. Number one, many of the mods are a ripoff. Upgrading the RCA jacks, op amps, and adding a bit of DynaMat is not $500 - $600 worth of work, especially for the sonic differences derived. And, more ambitious projects have sometimes resulted in removing the prime feature - its musicality.

In no way do I mean to say that intelligent mods do not represent a worthwhile step with good value for money. But, make sure you find the right outfit to perform the work, and that the sonic changes are actually improvements to you.