Jolida 202a Tube Rolling Question 12ax7 12at7

Hi guys, a while back I purchased a jolida 202A to power my desktop speakers. I like the combination very much for accoustic/percussion music as nothing can quite beat it. However my $200 14 watt hong-kong amp is better for rock.
Before testing the other amp I thought it was simply a property of the speakers. But after putting the Jolida in my main setup I'm experiencing the same downfalls.

I don't really know how to pick tubes in order to get the qualities I'm looking for, so I was hoping that you guys could help out.

What I like about the sound now:
-Crisp details throughout the frequency spectrum
-Very speedy attack and decay on accoustic instruments

What I don't like:
-Very dry quality in the upper mids / lower HF
-Not enough tube bloom and warmth, too sterile
-The distortion at high power isn't like my little class A, (which just tends to get more blended and bloomy) but instead sounds rather grating in the high end and loses the bass.

Tubes I'm using right now:
4x JJ E34L's - Power
2x Electro-Harmonix 12ax7's in the preamp circuit
2x PhillipsECG 12AT7's as power drivers

I believe that the amp originally came with 4x 12AT7's though.
robxmccarthy

Showing 3 responses by kehut

www.tubedepot.com/ts-12ax7g.html

You really should try this tube. Its a winner. Drive, bass,excellent imaging and stage, with the smoothness of NOS Mullard or Brimar. Many NOS types are nice sounding, but just dont have the drive that make music sound real with the exception of the Tele ECC803s in the 12AX7 family IMHO.

I agree that the EH 12AX7 are not helping you. Your JJ's and Philips are good tubes.
I like the Ei 12AX7, but its not quite as good as either the Tele 803S or even the new Tung Sol ECC803S. Much smoother and better dynamics than the EH tube though.
Sonically, I have not compared them. an ECC803S..(S)or (Special) tube usually is a longer life, lower noise Euro variant type by design than the standard 12AX7. I can say that I really prefer the new TS ECC803S over my 50's vintage TS long black plate 12AX7 and the RCA equivilent. Although the vintage tubes do sound okay, you will hear more focus and tonal richness with better dynamics(drive) in the re-issue. Its a linear sounding tube that has nice detail without any etch or brightness. Im almost willing to bet the new TS re-issue 12AX7 (non gold pin) is identical sounding... the Ecc803s are 2x the price of the std. 12ax7, likely for screening of noise and microphonics and gold pins.