Jolida 100 cdp

I have a Jolida 100 cdp with stock chinese tubes. My system include B&K ST-202 with B&K Pro10MC sonota pre-amp, Alon II speakers. My listening habits include blues, jazz and indy bands. Looking to upgrade tubes to best suite system and listening habits. Are the RCA 5751 triple mica back plates the answer?
dvdgreco

Showing 1 response by kehut

Here is my take thus far: Ive tried several types compared to the stock Chinese tubes( which are not too bad sounding IMO) EH tubes were too bright in the highs...Next I tried GE 3x mica grey plate 5751 and found them better resolving..but no better in the highs( slightly wirey)...then on to some Raytheon 5751 windmill getter BP types.. Much improved from the GE and smooth on top. but a little too recessed for my tastes.It lacked the stock tubes bloom. Finally found the RCA's and to my ears this tubes is the best resolving with smooth highs and excellent bass..a bit more bloom in the lower mids.
This morning I stuck in a pair of Ei Yogoslav's and I think this tube is the answer for me. I combines all the bloom and 3D soundstage and deep bass of the stock tubes although it does not have focus and the resolution of the RCA's. The highs are more open than the RCA's but have the non fatiguing smooth highs that I like. I will live with this tube awhile and see how it does on all types of music.

The nice thing about these are thier availablity and the low cost. They sell new for about $9.00 a tube. and I bough my new pair off the GoN at $6.60 a tube!( check the ad's.. and you'll find them) They are a steal at that price and will give you a taste of the RCA's but with more bloom and a open highs. All they really lack is some resolution and focus which I can live with... Thats my take thus far! :)Ken