Johnny Hartman with John Coltrane

Wow, does it get better than this? Just 6 songs. 30 minutes, but oh yeah. McCoy Tyner's piano with Hartman is delicate and sweet. Coltrane as mellow and humble to let Hartman shine. Elvin Jones drums and Jimmy Garrison on bass. These are greats making beautiful music. Any other great Hartman recordings? How 'bout singers with intimate quartet of the same ilk? thanks in advance, warren :)
128x128warrenh
Chazzbo, you be the man. Got your aside e mail. That's some collection you got there. This is just what I was looking for. I love all these singers, but now I have some specifics. Cool...warren :)
I always heard great music growing up with my dad, a jazz musician, and this was always one of his favorites and I think my all-time favorite. "Blue Train" is an essential Coltrane album as well as many others. Hartman's catalog is kind of inconsistent and I don't think this recording w/Coltrane was ever matched. Hartman recorded another Impulse album about the same time with Hank Jones, Illinois Jaquet, Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall, Milt Hinton, and Elvin Jones that's pretty good-"I Just Dropped By to Say Hello"-I think it's still available (I have the LP and the CD). Clint Eastwood is a fan of Hartman's and I know he included some of his tunes in movies such as "The Bridges of Madison County". Also check out Joe Williams.
Just a side note, the SACD version has both the mono and stereo recordings. Your right, it just doesn't get better than this.
Try "Blues for Easy Livers" by Jimmy Witherspoon.

Prestige OBCCD-585-2

Also very nice if you like the others mentioned in this thread.
Yes the JH/JC remaster along with being some of the most beautiful music is also one of the very best recordings of male voice and sax. They are miked/mixed perfectly where I can close my eyes and truly believe they are in the room. Especialy track 3. I also love the Armstrong with Duke Ellington recommended by CMO. Make sure you get the newly remastered complete recordings session. The sound is incredible. Check out the track " I got it bad and that ain't good" and listen to the trumpet intro where you can hear the fingering as well as his breath. Awesome. If you like Miles the remasterd " Relax'n" is both beautiful and of audiophile quality. Miles trumpet is perfect. Coletrane is recorded/mixed a little too "hot' but still darn good. Love this stuff - Jim