Joanna Newsom: Ys or No?

Ys I read about the Van Dyke Parks credits & Stereophile's Pick-of-Month review & other press to the effect that this album succeeds against all odds as a work of genius. I'm no philistine, but while listening to sound bytes at Barnes & Noble, I flashed back to Bluto at the Animal House toga party smashing that folkie's guitar to bits on the staircase. Has anybody fully digested this album without the impulse to murder/suicide?
dgarretson

Showing 3 responses by jlind325is

Dgarretson-

Your still with us, nice to hear your urges to commit suicide passed. : ) So why Ys!!!!!?
I realy enjoy this album, i can listen to her anytime of the day without wanting to murder/ commit suicide. Though I can see how someone might want to take her harp and give it a ye olde chuck into the grand canyon. The way she pronounces words and changes pitch might just drill into someones brain and cause a seizure but i find it relaxing as well as intriguing. Im a fan of Bjork as well and find their style, vocally that is, similiar. I also like the fact how she is telling a story instead of just repeat chorus here and there etc. As for a work of genius? hmmm, dont know about that but it is a very original peice of work to me. What it comes down to-if you dont like it, dont listen to it. Who knows maybe it will grow on you.
I should add this is the first time i have heard Joanna Newsoms work. I have been meaning to purchase more of her music. Have any of you heard her other work in the band "The Pleased"? I was thinking about trying them as well.