JM REYNAUD OFFRANDE Opinions Please

I have a set of Twin MKII's with my Audiomat Arpege Amp and Ah! Tjoeb CD upsampling player. The more I listen to these $550 (used) "bookshelf" monitors the more I love them and appreciate the remarkable sound they produce. They are just so sweet and right-on. So, thinking that Mr. JM Reynaud may have something more to offer, I am thinking about upgrading to the Offrande ($2500 used). I hear that he has modified the speakers in the last year or two. Any opinions of this speaker? Any advise on the new v. old models? How can you tell the difference between old and new models anyway? Thanks in advance for the replies.
eddaytona

Showing 2 responses by 1967

Eddaytona,
I have a one year old pair that I love, I can not give you a comparison with the twins but I owned many speakers prior to the Offrandes (Aerial 10t, Verity Parsifal, Maggie 3.5, Silverline Sonata, Sonus Faber Extreema, Audio Physic Virgo, Merlin VSM Millenium) within about a one(expensive) year period, once I got the Offrandes I quit looking and began assembling a system around them. I find them to be excellent at staging and imaging, which is mandatory for me, they really disappear. Here is where my review becomes subjective, I find them to have the perfect balance between resolution/detail but still with a musical tone, some speakers I have owned sounded way to brite and edgy while others were sweet, but lifeless and boring, the Offrandes are beautifull sounding but the cymball is still there in the room with you with along with great dynamics and vocals, but I never feel the need to lower the volume or get fatigued after listening for long periods. My taste tends toward the sweeter than life , slightly euphonic tube sound compared to a krell or levinson amp so this review needs to be read with that in mind. Many "class A " or reccommended speakers do not sound at all natural to me they may be dynamic and impressive but unatural and not musical. with the Offrandes I get excited to bring home a new CD especially a live recording and experience a musical experience in my home. The biggest lesson I have learned in this hobby is to never buy equiptment based on reviews, however the fact that you are familiar and happy with JM Reynaud it may be a logical upgrade.
Ryriken,
I tried to be careful not to compare the Offrandes directly with any other speakers, it is curious to me you got the impression that I found the Merlins bright. That may or may not be my impression but I dont want to be critical of other gear in this thread( maybe another day), that is too easy, and probably not fair because too many external factors effect a speakers sound, in my system I was just happier with the JMRs, also I think I was fair in admitting I like a slightly sweet sound, we all have different tastes, and I am sure there are many who could be critical of the Offrandes, I am just glad that they are what I get to listen to.