JL Audio F110 Fathom pops...

Hi,
I keep forgetting to call JL during work hours since I rarely have time, but thought I would ask here and see if anyone has any experience like this...

So when playing my JL at loud or really loud levels I get an intermittent "popping" noise. It doesn't happen consistently, it does happen during "peak" bass demand (at least not always) - and it doesn't cause the amp to shut-off or go into overdrive/protection mode.

Is it likely that I am just driving it too hard (it really doesn't feel like it because the bass is very consistent and clean when played at loud levels - its not distorting in any way that I can hear)? Or maybe there is a defective (or marginal) cap or transistor in the sub's amp that could be replaced?

I am driving it through balanced interconnects from a Krell Foundation 4k UHD. The individual source input is usually my Sony HAP Z-1ES since that's really the only device I consistently listen to loud music. I also use it play movies/sporting events but have never listed to those at levels loud enough to make it pop...mainly due to the source material and personal listening preferences.

Thanks to anyone who might have something to add!

babyseaotter99

Showing 2 responses by edwyun

Definitely call JLA.  Could be the beginnings of capacitor failure on the power supply board.