Jitterbugs from Audioquest and the Regen

I just received 4 of the Audioquest Jitterbugs.

I placed one Jitterbug in a usb that is between the Bryston BDP-2 and the usb cable that is going to my external powered USB 10 hub. This powered hub has (2)-1 TB External Hard drives plugged into it.

I then placed another Jitterbug from the Bryston usb that is going to the Regen. The Regen then plugs into my PS Audio Direct Stream Dac. Hmmn, very nice improvement.

I tried using 2 more Jitterbugs on my 2 external hard drives that are plugged into the external powered USB, but, the sound became rather harsh and thin.
So, I just tried plugging the extra 2 jitterbugs into open spaces in the USB 10 powered hub and there was perhaps a slight improvement.

Placing the Jitterbugs on open usb's on my UHD Led definitely improved the picture quality, even though I am only using the HDMI inputs?

The Audioquest Jitterbugs are still too new for me to settle in a absolute placement so I will experiment further.
128x128ozzy

Showing 5 responses by jc4659

I'd be interested in comparisons between the jitterbug and the iFi iPurifier.
Ozzy, not sure if you were suggesting trying them simultaneously but Audioquest did not recommend using the jitterbug and the iPurifier though they probably meant at opposite ends of the same USB cable. The jitterbug can be added to an unused USB port but i don't know what effect that would have, if any. Sounds like you preferred the Regen in any event. It will be interesting to hear from others.
I have been using an iPurifier for almost two years. I remember when I first tried it, I immediately noticed an improvement in musicality that made it easier to listen to computer audio via usb. I recently received a Jitterbug and placed it in an unused usb port on my Mac. The music was clearer but there was a slight but perceptible loss of loudness and bass. Then I tried the jitterbug alone between my Mac and usb cable (i.e. no iPurifier at the dac end of the usb cable) and the sound opened up, the stage was noticeably deeper, and more detail became apparent. There still may be some shortfall in bass but I'm not sure about this yet. There was no change in loudness so that would appear to be due to the combination of the two devices. Very different from the iFI iPurifier which now sounds like it is filtering a little more than it should. I have not tried the Jitterbug and the iPurifier together on opposite ends of the usb cable though. Btw, Audioquest does not recommend doing this. I ordered a second jitterbug just to see what affect, if any, it may have when used in an open usb port on my mac with the first jitterbug on the usb cable. I have not tried the Regen. I refuse to go crazy with all kinds of band aids for usb audio. Think I am at the point where it's just not worth it. I'd rather futz with my turntable.
Just to clarify my experiences so far, using a JB in an unused usb port on my mac with an iFi iPurifier between the usb cable and dac seemed to lower the loudness and also diminish the bass. Used alone, the JB resulted in more detail, depth, and openness. I haven't listened long enough to definitively say I like the change as it is more detail than I am used to hearing. But compared to using nothing, i.e. computer to usb cable to dac, it's much better (less glare). I'd like to try 2 JB's- one on the cable and one in an unused slot but have not received the 2nd JB yet.
Ghosthouse, hear any differences with the JB yet? Interesting bugs, these little devices are.