Jelco TK-850L review

Just received the new Jelco TK850L.
It is a drop in replacement for the previous model 750L. It retails for around $1100 from a few online retailers. However I got it from GEM Dandy's George Merrill who retails it for $895. I used the headshell from the 750. It looks like it’s the same one. I am running a Decca Super Gold with Paratrace stylus on an Audiograil early model 401 with an Audiosilente idler (just buy it) in a slate and maple plinth. Initial impression is that it is a solid improvement on the 750. Listening to Buddy Tate and Walt Davenport in Nice, France 1974. An improvement in soundstaging is immediately obvious as is speed of attack, or rise-time. Depth and width are improved. The music is more colorful. Trombone sounds more golden than I recall while the guy playing tuba sounds like he is huffing and puffing into the instrument. An added realism. Rim shots are faster and snares portray more insight into the rattles -the metal has color and feel...a mechanical quality. Percussion is much improved. Surface noise seems reduced, supressed even. Now playing Jay McShann and Janis Siegel, Ain’t Misbehavin’. Wonderful vocals and very dynamic with jump out of the stage piano fortissimo that I have never heard before. Highs better with oodles of detail but no harshness. More black space between notes... all of that.
I could go on about the minutiae but I’ll stop. This thing makes music like I’ve never heard. It is a taste of the high end which is lacking in the 750. More anon.

128x128noromance

Showing 3 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Jelco 750L owners: According with the information in my posts all of you can/could re-align your tonearm to achieve lower distortion alignment levels.

Btw, I don't check the other alignment parameters in the other Jelco models but probably shows the same " behavior " and needs new alignment parameters.

R.
Dear @noromance : There are at least 3 tonearm characteristics than changed in the 850 against the 750: new bearing type ( knife. ), lower vertical bearing sensitivity and lower effective length.
All those characteristics are main part of what you are listening and maybe exist a four characteristic change that could be a better internal wiring quality but I can’t say for sure:

https://audiosensibility.com/information_links/Jelco_750_InstructionManual.pdf

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/accessories/jelco-tonearm-store/jelco-tonearms/#!/Jelco-TK-850L-12...

""" Increasing the stylus overhang to 2mm past where it is spaced (13mm) helped. """

well you can do that but increase the distortion levels even if you can’t aware of it.

They said that Jelco uses IEC and Baerwald/Löfgren A alignment protocol but the Jelco specs/parameters are wrong either with the 750 and the 850 and you need to re-aling it:

in your 850L that comes with 303mm on EL ( in the 750: 305mm. ) the correct alignment tonearm/cartridge parameters are:

P2S: 289.5mm overhang: 13.5mm offset angle: 17.96°

If you can try it and see what happens. Certaninly must be lower distortion levels but you are the best judge in your room/system.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

PS.: to make things easy for you and stay with 290mm P2S distance you can test both tonearms with the correct Baerwald/Löfgren A alignment parameters and not the Jelco gaves:

overhang: 13.45mm    offset angle: 17.9°

In that way your listening tests between both tonearms will have a better " meaning " and the 850 will be with a correct alignment set up.