Jeff Rowland 501s and PC1s

I installed the PC1s with my 2 Yr. old 501s and am very happy with the improvement. Sound stage is wider, taller and deeper. Image is more pronounced with increased detail.

As for value, $3200 for the PC1s on top of $6700 for the 501s is alot of money. A lot of very good amps at this price piont.

For me, Rowland equipment has a very natural, uncolored sound that I have found compatable with all my other equipment over many years.

System:
Esoteric X0-1 Limited
JRDG Concerto Pre
JRDG 501s
JRDG PC-1s
B&W 802Ds
Cardas Golden Reference, all cords, cables and ICs
ASC Tube Traps
Room Dem. 13'x 15' x 9'Hi
phous

Showing 9 responses by dcstep

Well Phous, I suspect that your system is very revealing and musical. Why don't you post a Virtual System so that we can see your setup?

For someone that doesn't already have 201s or 501s, I'd suggest the Continuum 500. The C500 includes essentially two 501s, a Capri preamp and PFC, all for $8800 or $9200 with phono section. In the context of other Rowland gear it's a good bargain, then compared to anything else, it's an incredible, almost unbelievable bargain. (Compare to Ayre, Boulder, ARC, BAT, Atmasphere, Lamm, etc.).

One of my friends in the Denver area has a Capri/501/PC1 system driving B&W. His praises are similar to yours. I've got the C500 driving Vienna Acoustic.

Dave
Interesting news about a new JRDG pre-amp. I didn't see that when I was there a few months ago. I'll be there again in a few weeks and we'll ask Jeff about it. (I wouldn't be surprised if that's just wishful thinking by the dealer).

It is possible. Now that Jeff's got the new remote designed, allowing more I/O options, then it might be a simple matter to scale up a Capri for those needing more flexibility. It's amazing how much design effort goes into that remote interface.

Dave
Clavil, I'll see what I can find out. I assume you mean JRDG when you say JFR, right? I saw his ICs when I was down there, but the memory is foggy. I'll try to verify. Keep in mind, he doesn't pay for those kinds of things, usually. He'll barter with other makers he likes, so it's not quite the same as you and I putting down full retail.

Dave
I saw some Cardas, but I thought there was something else. I'm checking with someone else that was there.

Dave
Sorry, I was wrong about Cardas, it was Nordost, now that I consult and look at some picture. Hope that helps.

Dave
Good question, but no Clavil, because the PS converts from AC to DC and back to AC. Rowland's PF1 only works with certain of his equipment because it converts from AC to DC and stays in the DC mode.

Dave
Clavil said:
"I talked to my dealer asking him why he didn't recommend to me to buy the Continuum 500, he said "if some day you want to change your loudspeakers, we have better possibility to tune the system with the diferent power cables precisely on your new loudspeakers. Nevertheless it would be very interesting to compare my combination with the Continuum 500."

That sounds like an excuse to me. Selecting from the speakers that will match well with the Continuum 500 presents a very broad selection. The C500 can use any power cable. I would only agree with him if your speakers are very distant from the preamp.

Dave
I understand what you're saying, but my approach is to eliminate PCs and ICs. I think of them as added to potential distortion rather than being an opportunity to "tune" the system. In keeping with JRDG design philosophy, "keep signal paths short and simple."

If you're likely to move up to the Criterion and 312, then it makes sense to me, but not so that you can use more cables. ;-)

Dave