Jeff Rowland 302 or Conrad Johnson Premier 350

I am thinking of buying a high powered amp and I have shortlisted the JR 302 and the CJ P350. Which is better overall? Would appreciate all comments.
thf

Showing 10 responses by thf

Thanks Chris, for your thoughts. I see in your other posts that you have quite extensive experience with the hybrid Lamms. Do you think the M1.2s have enough juice for the Extremas?
Cytocycle- You mean JR is willing to put the power supply of the 301 into the 302?
Thank you guys (and girls?) for your input. The rest of my system are as follows: CEC TL 1X, Audio Space DAC-1US, ARC Ref 2, BEL 1001 MK V (mono), SF Extrema. I also have a pair of ATC SCM 100 ASL speakers which I use in my main system . I suspect the BELs are a little under-powered for the Extremas and hence, the need for a more powerful and versatile amp. Unfortunately, from where I live (in Asia), I will have to drive 5 hours across the border to get a demo (strangely, the dealers are not so friendly here). Due to all these inconveniences, a home demo is out of the question.
Cytocycle- Yes the Extremas are 88dB efficient but the impedance is 4 ohms. They do go down to 1 ohm (according to the experts and I believe them) and when that happens, most amps including the BELs will run out of steam. While they are not difficult to drive, they do suck current like crazy. But when the amp's current supply is up to it, the Extremas can sound so sweet.
Cytocycle- Thanks for your very detailed effort. Actually, my first choice is the Lamm M1.2s. The only drawback is the heat. I will seriously look at them again before I make a final decision.
Raquel- Thanks a lot for your thoughts which will help me greatly in my buying decision.
Raquel,
You were absolutely spot on about the CAT JL2. I drove 5 hours to actually try to buy the JR 302 when I saw a used JL2. I asked the dealer to put it in his demo system (with Eidolon speakers) and know what? One minute into the demo, I decided to take the JL2 home. And the best thing is, it really brings the Extrema to a new level of performance.
Barrelchief,

No, I do not have any experience with or own tube amps before but I do own tube and hybrid preamps.