JD100 - can I do better under $2K

Using RCA 5751 NOS in the Jolida. While the sound is excellent, I wonder if I could get a *little* more detail/resolution out of a different player. Of course, detail can be not such a good thing, so the cdp has to get the other things right too. I would like to come closer to the analog sound, which the JD IMO is pretty good at (but I also believe only analog sounds like analog, still, the goal is to approach it).

Used ok if a reliable brand/model.
kck

Showing 2 responses by boa2

I jumped from the JD-100A to an Audio Aero Prima in search of that resolution. This player is a significant jump up from the Jolida.

Many like the Cary players as well. I've not heard them.

Good luck!
Howard

I have to say that Readster's high end CDP choices are stellar. At the same time, I've heard a number of players that outperform the Jolida under the 5K mark, and selecting one is simply a matter of sonic preference. The Audio Aero Prima is a phenomenal player, and in my experience it is superior to the Jolida in every regard, despite the benefits achieved with a tube upgrade. Others of note (search the archives here, as well): Resolution Audio Opus 21, Muse, Cary, Audio Note, Consonance, etc.

While some players do tend to sound more digital, there are others that certainly offer better resolution and dymamics than the Jolida, and yet still have a warm analog-like sound. Many of these happen to be, not coincidentally, tube players.