JC3+ With Kleos SL?

Hey Folks,

I am considering trading in my Kleos for a Kleos SL.  Has anybody tried one of the SL versions of the Kleos, Etna, or Atlas with the Parasound JC3+?  As you may know the SL needs more gain and the rated 64DB gain of the JC3+ is below the 65DB gain recommended by Lyra and the US distributor Audioquest.

Thanks,
Robert
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
Good points lewm.

Lyra is using 5 cm/sec as stated here:
http://lyraanalog.com/kleos-sl.html

And again they mention rigid bearings.

Thanks,
Robert
Have both the Lyra Helikon and the Lyra Helikon SL, the SL is quite a bit better than the higher output standard model and yes 64 db of gain with your J3 should be fine, go for it.
@robbob, since you had already made up your mind, I'm not understanding the point of your OP??

If the phono stage is working too hard to amplify the signal, you will get distortion...unless you are going to be happy with a very low output from your system. I know this as I went through exactly the same problem with a very low output MC and my phono stage. Output was 0.25mv and the phono stage was good for 64db of gain. 
I had not made up my mind at the time of the original post.

Interesting you got distortion.  The gain of the phono stage is fixed so I would expect noise but not distortion.  A low input will give a lower output.  One's preamp may distort trying to make up the difference.  That is unlikely with the CP-500, particularly at the reasonable levels at which I listen.  Will give that issue some more thought.

Thanks for the replies,
Robert
Sorry, to be clear, I heard a lot more noise through the system as the gain was turned up...in my books that equates to distortion. As the system was asked to amplify the signal, the noise increased tremendously as it began to max out on the gain. Running the preamp gain control at such a high level, meant an increase in noise/ distortion. Far greater loss than what I had gained by going with the lower output cartridge and its supposedly greater abilities due to lower windings of the coil. YMMV.