JC1 upgrade to Lamm M2.2 or dartzeel 108B or Ayre?

I currently driving Harbeth M40 with parasound JC1 amp, my pre-amp is Conrad Jonson Act 2 series 2, source is PS audio DirectStream

I am thinking upgrade my system start with JC1

I need some advice: do you think Lamm M2.2 is a better amp than JC1, how about Dartzeel or Ayre

I have no plan to update Harbeth M40 yet

thanks in advance
taoh2

Showing 6 responses by ctsooner

Right now Ayre is arguably making the best SS amps you can get and their new Twenty series are the best amps I've heard so far (I've been fortunate to hear their new Ref twenty and am anxiously awaiting my new AX5/20 integrated. I own the AX7e and LOVE it., but their upper amps just blow me away. I've heard Lamms in the past and liked them also. I know three dealers off the top of my head who sell both the JC1 and the Ayre and they all own Ayre...Says a lot to me.
03-11-15: Audiotroy
Cstooner what other brands of solid state amps have you heard and in direct comparison to Ayre?
(Troy, I've heard nearly all the major names over the last few years both in my home or in stores that I'm familiar with so I know what I'm hearing. We all like different sounds.)

The Ayre amps are indeed very good amps, but so are a lot of other top solid state designs from BAT, Electrocompaniet, Pass Labs, and many, many others.

Troy:
(The other thing he might also consider a CJ tube amplifier some of their newer tube designs are very reliable and sound fantastic. )

Yes again nice idea, but Harbeths most find are at their best with Solid state amps.
Perhaps you are better at your day job.
Troy, I hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest. No agenda other than having fun on the boards :). I actually questioned YOUR agenda after you trashed Vandy's in that other thread. I'm sure that you have heard my system and what I was hearing. Found it interesting that to many others posted that they disagreed with your negative comments.

Moving on, I have been told by two Harbeth dealers that they are better with SS gear. Not being an engineer, I don't remember why. I guess I was just parroting like so many do when they reference reviewers.
Guys, I"ll will usually listen to user groups who have their systems in their homes and also network. Here is a great link to show that I was just sharing what Harbeth owners know:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1050413633&openfrom&1&4#1
Joe, it's interesting to read the amps you like as all sound so different to my ears. I have owned CJ and listened to all the Art gear (going out later today to audition the CJ ART gear with B&W's which I don't usually like. Will be interesting.

I own an Ayre Ax7e (selling it off) and am waiting on my Ayre AX5/20 based off of hearing the 20 ref gear. Holy crap what a difference.

I have heard the Dartzeel amps once and liked what they did, but for my the Ayre bested them overall. Those new Ayre pieces take them to a special place and I think in time will be considered must auditions (as if they aren't already). The only times I"ve heard Hegel they were very tipped up on top. Not distorted like many pieces out there, but just not as coherent as I'm used to. They make great gear though, that's for sure. Nice price points for all they give you in their DAC/integrateds. JMHO