JBL L300 - true myth?

I'd like to ask if some can write his opinion on this speakers,I had a chance to listen and recommened .
I understand they working great with powerfull tube amp...especially with Mcintosh -is that true?
it's look the components are really good Alnico drivers special tweeters,horns...but woofers made of carton?is that a problem with today standards?
Is the old fashion crossover need upgrade ?

Thanks
scubidubi

Showing 1 response by rottenclam

I have lived with these JBL L300 speakers for the last 6+ months and have to say that I have become a real fan of the JBL sound of yore. Putting a 32 watt push-pull tube amp on them has made them sound fantastic (and play pretty loudly). In the next few weeks I'm going to put a high-powered solid state amp on them to see if I can really get the woofers moving.

Imaging is so-so, but overall tone and timbre seems very right. As somebody mentioned earlier, they have punchiness in spades. Incredibly good looking speakers too. Highly recommended, but be willing to pay a premium to get them in really nice condition. This is a beautiful speaker that even domestic partners will not balk at.