JBL 4311B

Hello,
I have an old but in great shape pair of JBL 4311B's that I am considering using is a current set up. My question is, would there be any issues or concerns that I should be aware of when using them with more modern equipment like say a Marantz PM-11? I do not want to damage my amp, but would like to try these speakers out in my main system for a while to see how they do. I would also like to know if anyone has ever changed out the old spring loaded speaker termials with say WBT's or Cardas binding post? If you have?, Then how do you access the teminals for removal? Speaker drivers are on good, and not coming off the cabinet when the screws are removed. Maybe some type of adhesive used on them in conjunction with the screws to secure them? Thank you for any advise that you may be able to offer.
128x128peterwayne

Showing 1 response by jig

The woofer is not glued on, it just has been mated to the surface for so long under pressure that it appears to be glued on. If you have a rubber mallet, you can hit it around the edge of the frame, This may loosen it. Most people use a flathead screwdriver. I place a piece of tape over the flat part of the screwdriver so as not to scrath the cabinet. Place screwdriver at base of woofer frame and hit with a mallet/hammer. In other words, you are trying to pry the woofer free. This works 99% of the time. Best to lay the speaker horizontally when doing this, or the woofer will pop out unexpectedly. You will now have access to the input terminals for replacement.