JBL 250ti

Hi Folks:

JBL was one of the first speakers I ever heard that really showed me what this hobby is all about. There are several fellow members of the CT Audio Society who laud them and have owned them including some of the more famous studio monitors of the 70's and 80's. Recently there was a thread I read started by a real expert on JBL who said that this model was one of the best they ever made. I am very curious to get other opinions as to why this is so and how would one compare the 250ti to the audio capabilities of their best studio monitors and even the mighty Paragon which I have yet to hear. It fascinated me that even in the 1980's the 250ti sold for thousands of dollars.

Thanks as always.

D.H.
CT Audio Society
www.ctaudio.org
danhirsh

Showing 3 responses by seabreeze

My opinion is I liked the L220 over 250ti L220 uses horns and the 250i uses titanium tweeter. Used 4 L220's and one 4333 center channel. All driven by Levinson, for my surround system.

My favorite main system is the 4350's. Custom internal crossovers, Madisound external crossover, 16ohm 4 chassis custom OTL Tube Futtermans . The horns are also 16ohm, it's a match made in heaven. A Levinson ML3 for the woofers. Wadia dac, Sony transport and Custom tube preamp and a Cello Palette.

My favorite big sound little system, Silverline Preludes, Pass X250.5 and Pass pre, Modified Resoluction Audio dac, Sony transport. Bybee pwer conditioner, all balanced, with Tara labs cables throughout.
I think you may be wrong , They also had a slot tweeter

take a look

http://www.audioassembly.com/jblmito.htm
I stand corrected, they infact did have a cone, I had them
a long time ago, I belive they also had a passive driver. and the boxes were triangle in shape.

You can put the Le85 horn drivers in to replace the cone midrange driver.

This conversion kit will convert your LE5-9 mid range to a LE85/H91 horn without making any changes to your beautiful enclosure. You cannot tell it from original. The kit includes: 2 LE85 mid range compression drivers. 2 H91 Horns. 2 3110A crossovers. 2 horn/lens adapter plates. 2 back plates. If you want a 3 way system it includes 2 additional N7000 crossovers (additional 349.00). Drivers and horns are in near pristine condition. Shipping will be determined by location