JBL 250ti

Hi Folks:

JBL was one of the first speakers I ever heard that really showed me what this hobby is all about. There are several fellow members of the CT Audio Society who laud them and have owned them including some of the more famous studio monitors of the 70's and 80's. Recently there was a thread I read started by a real expert on JBL who said that this model was one of the best they ever made. I am very curious to get other opinions as to why this is so and how would one compare the 250ti to the audio capabilities of their best studio monitors and even the mighty Paragon which I have yet to hear. It fascinated me that even in the 1980's the 250ti sold for thousands of dollars.

Thanks as always.

D.H.
CT Audio Society
www.ctaudio.org
danhirsh

Showing 1 response by drnitro

I purchased my pair used in the Bay Area in 1993. Plugged them in to my NAD receiver and could barely get them up to room level. I checked the classifieds again, went back out that night and bought a used 200 wpc Conrad Johnson amp. It sounded much better but always seemed like something was lacking as well as the lower mid sounding somewhat coney. I replaced the NAD receiver, which I was now using as a preamp, with a McIntosh MX-134 and it added a richness and fullness as well as infinite detail to the sound.Still not happy with the lower mid, I contacted JBL. They said the speakers really needed a minimum of 400 watts. I replaced the C-J with a McIntosh MC-2500 and WOW, what a difference. The speakers finally came alive. I was happy with them for a few years but then that nasty habit of tinkering crept back in. I was using an Arcam CD player, modified by Audio-Horizons, so I decided to contact Joseph Chow for my next step. He came out to the house and after a time of arranging the placement of the speakers (they don't like to be against or near a back wall), it was sounding pretty good. We played a favorite cd and he commented how the vocals seemed drowned out by the instruments. I thought that was the way it was recorded. He plugged in a pair of his interconnects between the Arcam and the MX-134 and boom the vocals were now even with the instruments. No more weak lower mids, no more coney sounds, just rich full music! I now am integrating them as my mains in my surround system and after trying many THX approved center channel speakers, the JBL L20t works perfect as a center. I would like to try the 18Ti since it has the identical titanium tweeter as the 250's but the 20 does sound wonderful!The biggest thing I have found in making these light up is making sure they had enough power. That change was the most dramatic. As for imaging, getting them out in the room, away from the wall made a huge difference.