Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

@mahgister 

Herbie Hancock was the pianist in the best jazz combo ever assembled.  Enjoy your journey!  The members here have introduced me to some of the greats in the same way.

I think you are correct about the origin. Btw, I was not in the 2nd Brigade, I just use that icon to honor the origin of the name ’Black Jack’. I was in the DISCOM, 1st Cav. Cheers

Yeah, but it’s just as hard fightin and stringin communication wire from the back of a horse as it is fightin and ridein from one!

I never has known Hancock was so good....The quality of his musical output from bluenote is homogenous...not a single less interesting track... Thanks...

mahgister, when you write something, it is some of the most beautiful, ethereal words of poetry - put to pen, I’ve ever had the opportunity to read...

Herbie Hancock was the pianist in the best jazz combo ever assembled. (mahgister!) Enjoy your journey! The members here have introduced me to some of the greats in the same way.

Wait until you get to the FUNKY/JAZZ years of Herbie...!

@acman3,

This young gato, Dafnis Prieto reminds me of a modern day ’Fania All-Stars’. You never cease to amaze me...

Probably my favorite Jazz musician, because no one is more economical, no one is more sentimentally involved in the song, no one is more humble with his instrument because Chet forgot always himself in the music he play...We even forgot that this is a trumpet, subsist only a passing cloud in front of a stay forever sun, like a pure melody appearing in front of the heart....

He is the greatest trumpet player, not because of what he do or could do with the trumpet , but because of what he dont do ever and never will do...He most of the times slowly articulated each part of a melody like spoken words...

Playing slowly the trumpet notes like he did and making each one of them expressive in his own way is very difficult...More difficult than playing virtuoso and speed with high notes...

I am not a trumpet player... You could ask me how can i know what is the more difficult way to play at the trumpet?

I will answer easily... Look for any trumpeter and compare him with Chet...No one is able to slowly "spoke" with the trumpet at the expressive mastery level of Chet... Go now and look for virtuosos who play full speed ... There is plenty of them and i like them all because i like trumpet... But i love Chet...

There is some few others i love, but they have all their own "aural spectral expressive sound ", because i like that, none "spoke" with the trumpet though...

Music comes from the heart and nothing can destroy the heart, nor the drugs, nor the lost of his teeth...He learn to play anew at the same level... No other trumpetist will ever be able to do that i think...He played for the music ONLY never for the drug he need and pay for....For sure he was gravely ill all his life by drug ....But miraculously music never disapeared in meaningless concerts to pay for drug...I own more than one hundred of his best albums then i know him....

He was a withered and consumed angel....

For the same reason i love Bill Evans... They are twins...

Chet - the first 3 minutes are sublime.