Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I don't know how many albums I have with Wynton Kelly as leader, but I sure got a bunch with him as sideman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajL5MbW9Vxc

Mary_jo and Alex, I will write more, and when I write, I will have you two in mind.
there are three great all time jazz albums that anyone who claims an interest in jazz truly MUST have (IMO of course) .   They each reach the loftiest heights of sounding so wonderful even on am radio they would stop in your tracks; each sounds better in hi res (but hi res not needed); each were seminal influencing all jazz thereafter.  
1. John Coltrane - My Favorite Things.  The ethereal other-worldly haunting sound of this album and specifically song, are in another dimension of wonderful

2. Dave Brubeck (and Paul Desmond) - Time Out.  Each part, the piano, the horn then the drum solo are jaw dropping. Take Five.   As is most of the album.  

3.  Miles Davis - Kinda Blue.  (Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderley) NYC will forever be defined by scenes that typify the poignant isolation, loneliness and longing this album imbues.  

Eurasian Music, newly created Modal Jazz. Masterful improvisations with time and tone, Rodgers and Hammerstein and tonic chords in Waltz time.  and NONE of that matters, just listen. 
All great artists and albums, but you can't stop at three.  Maybe 300.

Nice post.

Cheers

Gsahaikun, not only do you have exquisite taste in music, but you can actually communicate music into words. We have people here who have good taste in music, but they seem to have a problem communicating that into words, and you can do both? BTW, everyone here has all of those albums and a few more.

I hope you hang around; maybe they'll get the hang of communicating from reading your posts. Please post some more.