Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

When this VHS tape that I have was made, Sun Ra and his merry band all lived in a huge house in Philadelphia that was done up in the style of the ancient Egyptians. They had a lot of fun and made a good living; who could ask for more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ioFrtlNXZk
frogman thanks for posting that Amazing Grace by Wynton. It made my day.

Its amazing that simple hymn, within the context of all the complex music all over the world from classical to blues, from blues to jazz and rock and hip hop, is, and always will be one of the greatest statements of humanity

It is never to late to change your life and be humbled to rise above no matter what your religious beliefs may be.

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear,
And Grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come.
’Tis Grace hath brought me safe thus far
And Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.

I have been listening to "Wes Montgomery", both of them; he's two musicians rolled into one, the more jazz oriented Wes before 65, and the Pop oriented Wes who became famous after 65. I like them both; as to which one, that depends on my mood.

This is the most beautiful version of "Round Midnight" ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Xozvcf0FA

Later on there was "Bumpin on Sunset"; thus began another period in his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER8Q504Vro8

Wes played some beautiful music and I enjoyed it all; his music has so many beautiful memories to go along with the music for me.

Wes Montgomery:

Notice the producer of “Bumpin...”.  Creed Taylor.  Early example of the CTI formula and sound.