Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Looking at Rachelle Ferrell sing Autumn Leaves is a sight to behold; I'm trying to decide whether I want to look and not listen or listen and not look; both together are quite an adventure, but there is no denying, the gal can sing even if she is a drama queen to boot.

Rok, I'm not fond of jazz from the 40's, but if you take the very same musicians and put them in the 50's, I can dig them and the music. (don't feel like analyzing that at the moment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DmtPvFa_W8

When you can play trombone with that group, while smoking a cigarette, you know you be bad!!   Love it when those trumpet players 'get up there'. a'la Maynard.

Nice clip.

Cheers