Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
**** She reminds me a bit of a female Evans ****

Very good observation and I agree.  Sung has a very similar touch and tone.  

**** It's much better to know what the rules are if you want to break them a bit . ****

So true.  Old truism in Jazz:   ** You can't play "outside" (the harmony) before you know how to play "inside" **  Otherwise it's just bs and reveals the imposters.  Nice clip.
mary_jo, old Jazz musician joke.  Funny and true.  Thanks.  In fairness, usually the result of the only way for the band to get on the band stand in most small clubs and not necessarily disrespect for the musicians.  Old fave (subtle):

* Two musicians and a drummer are at a bar… *

Most people are just not serious about music of any genre . A rock concert looks like a sheep farm to me, not that I ever went to one .More of a "social"  outing  than a musical  event .Pass the dope please.

Any study I've ever seen has 5% of US population listening to jazz and classical combined , comes to about 10% in the few major cities
where choral music  is big . NYC, Mpls., Chicago and Seattle basically .
Of course even an old fool like me has to bow to those in the "force of nature" category .
This artist is that in the pop/crossover world, and is one of my favorites. .
All know his lovely voice and skill on guitar but doubt if many know his other instrument .
The song was written by a famous rock star about a place in Scotland .Me being mostly Scottish has nothing to do with it(cough) .
IMO this is the greatest performance I ever heard from him and
I am certain it’s because , like myself , he was fiercely proud of his Scottish heritage !

https://youtu.be/cT7t3WNbK3Y?t=2
And you may be certain that  the   Celtic  audience   had something to do with it .