Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frank, that music was made at a time when Dinah was really on top, and the musicians with her as well;

Dinah Washington – lead vocals
Clark Terry – trumpet
Paul Quinichette – tenor saxophone
Cecil Payne – baritone saxophone
Jimmy Cleveland – trombone
Wynton Kelly – piano
Barry Galbraith – guitar
Keter Betts – bass
Jimmy Cobb – drums

That music takes me back to a much better time than now, and that was even before this COVID 19 mess. From my observations, we've been going backwards for 20 years now. I need all the help I can get to be "elsewhere" in another time zone.

I just ordered a 5 LP box set, and I'm setting my analog rig back up. Might need a couple of tubes for the phono, but they should be here when the records arrive.

Thanks for reminding me just how good that music sounds. The funny thing is that it sounds so much better now than it did back then.

Questions to The Frogman:

Do any Tyrants, Despots, autocrats still exists in the ranks of Orchestra Conductors today??   Seems as if, the title meant they wanted everything their way or the highway, but, I always assumed this was the norm for all conductors.

Found this on google.  The last sentence had me LMAO.

The most famous embodiment of the despotic maestro was Arturo Toscanini. Even in the glory years of the handpicked NBC Symphony Orchestra, he routinely flew into tantrums during rehearsals, breaking his baton, storming off the stage, vowing never again to conduct such louts, whose playing was an insult to him and to Beethoven -- who, the point seemed to be, were equals.

Cheers