Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Here is an interview with, IMHO, one of the greatest drum players (it can be argued he was the greatest) and musician to ever play this thing we call jazz. And he was a perfectionist who expected the greatest effort, at all times, whether in the studio or live, of the members in his band.

And I quote from the interview: "The art form of jazz will continue"

"There is an elite audience out there that will appreciate what we do"

"What we do has more validity to it, and there is an audience out there who wants to see and hear better things"

"I try to keep a very high standard with my music"

"I was brought up in a world of music that I doubt very much we’ll ever see again - that kind of talent - artistry - and dedication, you wont find that today"

The above quotes were taken from the first 5 minutes of a 15 minute interview from 1987 in which he gives high praise to Lester Young, Charlie Parker, and Dizzy Gillespie.

If you have 15 minutes to spare I think it would be worth time spent. This is part 1 of a 3 part interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8PmhaWskc&t=622s
orpheus10, This is how Buddy Rich reacts to members of his band not "pulling their weight":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covUesgI6fA&t=184s

After you listen to a few minutes of the above (which is quite enough) watch this and see the talented, hot tempered, Buddy Rich doing what he does best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS2hGuoPXU

btw, Buddy detested country music. Said it was hillbilly noise played on 3 chords.

This new Buddy Rich biography is being released on October 1. I already pre - ordered my copy

https://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Rich-Making-Greatest-Drummer/dp/1540064239/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=buddy+ri...

Amazon blurb:

In this meticulously researched biography, author Pelle Berglund presents the first comprehensive book on the life of Buddy Rich, still considered by many to be the greatest drummer ever to pick up sticks. Using interviews with many of Buddy's band members (some conducted by the author himself) along with extensive sourcing of quotes from practically every interview ever given by Buddy himself, a complete chronology of Buddy's life is presented along with insights into what drove him and what he thought about the various situations and people he encountered through his life.

One of a Kind recounts each chapter of a life lived in the spotlight: childhood star Traps, the Drum Wonder; young jazz drummer with Joe Marsala and Bunny Berigan; star sideman with Artie Shaw, Harry James, and Tommy Dorsey; and leading various incarnations of the Buddy Rich Big Band. A twentieth century icon, Buddy's relationships with Shaw, Dorsey, Count Basie, Johnny Carson, Frank Sinatra, Mel Torme, Gene Krupa, Norman Granz, Lana Turner, and his family, including wife Marie and daughter Cathy, are insightfully investigated.

Never-before-seen photos of Buddy culled from the private collection of collector Charley Braun add a new perspective on Buddy's life including a 16-page featured photo section. Beyond providing a complete timeline of Buddy Rich's life, One of a Kind provides a glimpse into the mind of a musical titan who demanded greatness from himself and those around him, and became of the most celebrated and controversial stars in music.

Also includes an incredible introduction by drummer Max Weinberg and a link to additional online photos, video and audio.

**** Frogman, what you call good jazz and what I call good jazz are two different things. Can we agree on that? ****

Absolutely not. You have posted many things that I consider good jazz and others have also posted many things that both you and I have considered good jazz. So, there goes that theory 🤪. Now, as far as what I have posted and how you feel about it:

If I were to agree with your comment it would mean that you don’t consider the work of Miles, Trane, Shorter, Turrentine, Cannonball, Hancock, Morgan, Criss and countless others who played the music at the highest level to be “good jazz”. Why? Because I have posted them all and more.... many times. Many more times, as was just pointed out, than the few “out of the mainstream” things that I have posted and which seem to cause you to make statements like the above. Things that, while they may not be to someone else’s liking (or, even mine), may have important significance from a historical perspective; or, simply from a skill perspective. There is value in all that and understanding that value makes one a better listener. Just because I post Albert Ayler in response to YOUR comment doesn’t mean that it is what I always reach for when listening to music. Of course, we know that the real rub is that I disagreed with the way that you associated all post-bop with “free jazz”.

You want to talk about not being “consistent”? Please! I have been extremely consistent. Consistent in keeping an open mind for the new and the old; and when something is not to my liking stylistically I judge it according to how well it is executed from a skills perspective. “Consistency” is sometimes just a word for narrow minded and of limited scope. You have your own personal reasons for always trying to punch holes in what I write. Doesn’t take a genius to understand why this is. No problem; it’s your issue, not mine. Your comment above is simply a sneaky way of, once again, saying that you think you know what good jazz is and that I don’t. Please, must we go through that childish nonsense again? I prefer to have meaningful discussion about this great art form and its history with some semblance of logic and without hysteria and needless personalizing. It does get very tiresome. Just as it gets tiresome to have to go through these pointless discussions. “Why all the angst?” Great question.

What IS a problem (for this thread) is that some always seem to want to turn this into a competition of some sort. “Best this, best that”, “only classic jazz is any good”, etc. Can’t praise something without putting something else down. “If someone doesn’t like what I like then he has terrible taste in music”. All the while without consideration of the obvious: personal taste, the reason for and the value in better understanding of the objective aspects of the music. I could say a lot more on the subject, but I would direct you to Acman3’s excellent post above. He laid out a great formula. There will always be something to learn and there will always be things about art that we don’t understand or can relate to. I see it as room for growth, not for shutting doors; and, that doesn’t mean that we then have to stay in that particular room.

pjw, Buddy’s ranting and raving is the stuff of legend among musicians. I know many players who played in his various bands over the years including the pianist responsible for making that infamous tour bus recording. The stories are incredible; some hysterically funny and some unbelievably pathetic. Great and iconic drummer. At times, not so great human being.