Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The Duke answered this question years ago.   I don't know why people insist on making Jazz some kind of fly by night music that goes in and out of style like some teenage top forty 'hit'.

The 'good stuff' goes through life with you.   There is no new and old.   Just the good and the other kind.

Today I was watching a thing on youtube about 'million dollar' stereo systems.   The most beautiful rig I have ever seen.   Had three 10" RTR decks.  Power amps the size of dog houses.   You get the picture.    One of the tunes he played on the RTR was "house of the rising sun".   Didn't catch the female singing.   Couldn't hold a candle to Dee Dee, but there it was.

Now read the wiki article.   Note the dates, times and places concerning the 'origin' of House of the rising sun.  Without doubt, it goes in the 'good stuff' column.  Humans will be playing it forever.

Only the 'other kind' is blown away by time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun#Origin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sOygJsLDc4&list=RDMM6sOygJsLDc4&start_radio=1

Cheers
Frogman,

I had found a live clip of Jones playing with Peterson, but Peterson was very old and this was his post-stroke period.  Decided to pass on it.   Along with Gene Harris, my very favorite Jazz pianist.

Cheers