Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
nsp, I agree with acman3; my opinion of Wynton’s IMPROVISING also has softened. As a trumpet player he has few equals; some might argue, no equal. As a bandleader he is great. As an educator and advocate for jazz, particularly its roots, he is fantastic. He has become such an important personality in jazz that I think the “beef” that many critics and players had/have has become rather moot. The beef was that the level of attention, notoriety and fame that he received was considered by some as not being deserved relative to the quality of his jazz playing. The feeling was that his playing somehow lacked soulfulness; that it was dominated by feats of virtuosity and, as older players like Miles would say, “he doesn’t say “sh$t”. I agreed to a degree. While I acknowledge that this is a subjective thing, I was seldom particularly impressed by his “story telling”, but the gorgeous sound and amazing command of the instrument usually held my attention. My opinion on this has softened because I think he continues to grow as an improviser. The solo on the Ruben Blades clip is a good example. I must say, however, that there are other current trumpet players that I find more interesting.

Tom Harrell is a favorite. Not too many players can play an extended solo without the help of a rhythm section. His time feel is so strong that one almost doesn’t miss the bass or drums. His command of harmony is so good that one can follow the changes of the tune without the help of a harmony instrument (piano or guitar). Beautiful warm sound:

https://youtu.be/Gw5bXS5VZcU

acman3 & frogmanI refrained from buying any Wynton music four 20 plus years as I did not like the context or musical style he was playing in. At the time I was going through a strong "avant-garde" period. Over the last several years I have been purchasing the jazz at Lincoln Center titles and I've been enjoying them.
frogman I have to agree about w y n t o n s playing  I never felt he stretched it out harmonically like other like other modern players do. I'm not sure but I think that was a personal choice of his.I guess when you have the major record contract(Columbia) and you are the face of the new wave of jazz players you are going to come in for some criticism for sure.Although I don't think Branford received the same level of criticism as the two brothers took different paths or different musical roads in their output and careers.I like Tom Harrell also I don't think he's that well-known. I have been listening to his recording "light on" lately. I like his piano player Danny Grissett.
schubertNice feature of Karolina S.with the WDR big band. Beautiful tone and excellent improvisational skills. I wonder if she is featured on any of the WDR BB recordings?
Beats me nsp, I 'll look around . When you see a musician like John Clayton
is impressed you know they are good .
I love those German Radio Bands , got addicted to them as a soldier in Berlin .Jazz is loved all over the world which why i try to remind folks of that .