Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Beautiful Isbin, mary_jo. Effortless musicality.
Loved “Fellini”, pjw. Thanks both.

Wynton Marsalis’ playing hasn’t always gotten a whole lotta love here. Check out his solo on this. He’s on fire.  Particularly impressive for being in a genre not usually associated with him.  Ruben Blades is fabulous as always.

https://youtu.be/hqpJH6p6Z2g
frogman I have always liked Wynton as a player and arranger/composer. He is the main reason there is a Jazz at Lincoln Center. I do not think Wynton has been "overlooked" by anyone who is anyone in the jazz world. And the majority of jazz aficionados are also aware of his contributions to the jazz world.

That distinction, IMHO, belongs to the great Jimmy Heath. JH is a fantastic player of alto, soprano, and tenor sax as well as flute plus he is a terrific arranger/composer and is recognized as such by his peers in the jazz world but he did slip under the radar of many jazz aficionados.
pjw, in no way did I mean to suggest that I think Wynton has been “overlooked”.  Quite the contrary. In fact, the tremendous amount of attention that he has received (deservedly, IMO) has been part of the reason for some of the cynical criticism from some. He is a formidable contributor to jazz in many respects. However, his playing as a jazz improviser has received quite a bit of criticism including from some here; hence my comment.

Btw, I agree about Heath. I posted a fair amount of Jimmy Heath a while back, but he deserves much more.

https://youtu.be/rbufxZe8550

AMEN to the Great Jimmy Heath !Look at the just plain joy on his face as whips those Germans in shape( not that they needed it) .Can only come from a life well-lived !
https://youtu.be/8nOhQAHNBQ8
P.S . look at the respect on the saxophone sections faces as the old man solos . And there ain’t no weak sisters in the German radio big bands ,