Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I saw Miles on broadcast TV - David Sanborn's Sunday Night Music! Late 80's? He sounded good! 

Acman, I don't know if Mike Stern was a perfect fit for Miles or if he began to sound like Miles in regard to his musical ideas from playing with Miles; either way, they were a good fit.
Thanks for all the links acman3

I have that Jim Hall disc. Really good group he put together for that session.

IMHO Miles made just a couple of good studio recordings 80-91. The live stuff is better. I only own 1 studio album from that period-Star People. I really dig his first electric phase 1968-75 and have just about everything he recorded in that period.

Mike Stern is a really cool guy. He enjoys playing and at the show he kept talking with and smiling at all the other band members especially Sonny Fortune. He also smiled and talked to the audience at the tables right near the bandstand. Outstanding guitar player.

I see Gary Bartz in the Isle of Wight festival link acman3 posted and it brought back a great memory I have of meeting him.

I was at a Lou Donaldson gig about 7 years ago at the Iridium NYC and when I left after the first show I saw Lou at the burger joint upstairs out on Broadway (Iridium is on the corner of 59th and Broadway). So I walk in and sit down at his table and we just start talking. Mostly about boxing, baseball (Lou is a big fan of both as am I), and music.

The time flew by and then one of the employees from the club sticks her head in the doorway and shouts "Mr. Lou your second set starts in a minute." Lou asks me am I watching the second set and I say no don’t have a reservation so he invites me down to sit on the side of the stage right up on the left side just out of view of the audience. People were packed in like sardines in a can in that joint so my leg hit one of them small (and quite wobbly) tables on the way up there and spilled everybody’s drinks. Mr. Lou said don’t worry bout that crap!

I watched the show then afterwards Sweet Papa Lou (as he is known as) takes me into the band and staff room. I talked for another half hour or so with Lou and the band and a few other people that were back there. When I left I shook hands with everyone and I asked one guy I didn’t recognize his name. He says "Gary Bartz pleasure meeting you." Well needless to say he was much older and did not look the same but I still felt like an ass for not recognizing him.

That was a great night and I will never forget it!