Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Loved the David Ware piece.  He's right up there with Coltrane when it comes to length of solo.

Nice clip

Cheers

Well, I do declare! (in my best faux-Southern acceint....not very good). You like David Ware AND Lester Bowie! Will wonders never cease? 😉. Just kidding and yanking your chain of course. I believe there was a time when they would have been put squarely in the “noisemaker” category. Re marginal instruments: While I wouldn’t say “gimmicky”, it is true that players with a less traditional mindset will be prone to search for new and unusual sounds.

**** I wonder if we would like it as much if this was the first and only "I only have eyes for you"? ****

And that IS a good and fascinating question. In a way it answers the question re what is an “appropriate” instrument for jazz.... familiarity with the sound plays a big role in our reaction to it.

And you thought the bass clarinet was marginal in jazz:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=riIWVv5u7Jg

nsp, thanks for that Bennie Maupin clips. I wasn’t familiar with those and enjoyed them. There’s just something about Maupin’s playing that I always like. His soprano saxophone playing on Headhunters is also fantastic. Rough around the edges, but so funky!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNlm-W3m1qc

ghosthouse, the chickens are coming home to roost 😊

Noise Makers are not as numerous as they where once.  Maybe my scathing commentary made them see the light. :)

Cheers

Often I find music that Acman posts quite fascinating,in sence that most of the time I have never heard of (its not a shame to not know something,but its a shame to remain in ignorance)  bands or players that he likes. Even if I do not like it sometimes, I very much appreciate the different flow of mind,or feeling that leads him to listen or discover such music. It also helps me to undersatnd that my perspective about the 'good' music is 'right' just for me. Its very interesting to discover such a vast field of unknown, aldo I must admit that often I choose to stay in my 'comfort zone' (as Frogman would say). Its a subject to think about, exactly from which point of our minds or souls our 'tastes' are coming from...

Rok, this should have be your 'title' song...

The Skatalites 'The Rock Fort Rock'
https://youtu.be/6bLVdKbPHHY