Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

*****Nothing good came out of slavery, although I wish the civil war had never been fought, and that the Mason Dixon Line would be our southern border*****

As Mr. Spock might  say, "Most Illogical".

A few good things that came out of slavery, staying with Jazz:

Jelly Roll Morton,Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Bird, Trane, Miles, Monk, Cannonball, Dizzy, Lee Morgan, Billie Holiday, Ella, Sarah, Dee Dee, Wynton,   need I go on????   Our OP?

Cheers

Loved the Sax ensembles.  I have a few by 'The World Saxophone Quartet', but they seem to be more into the avant-garde.   The music just posted, was much better.   I wonder why this is not done more often.

When it comes to identifying players on records, I am hopeless.  I remember a similar thing Stereo Review used to do every month.  Those guys seldom missed.

Cheers

I heard Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit, and Ray Brown/ Laurindo Almeida - Moonlight Serenade this weekend. A definite must listen to if you can. Also Ray Brown's - Soular Energy. Music is here to stay!