Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Bill Frizell, Thomas Morgan, "Subconscious Lee"; the music reached me, I didn't have to make any effort. I checked and was surprised it was done in 2016.

Subconscious-Lee is a jazz album by Lee Konitz although a few tracks were issued on 78rpm under Lennie Tristano's name. It was recorded in 1949 and 1950, and released on the Prestige label.

Now everything makes perfect sense; ever heard of "Jack Kerouac"? I don't know where Lee Konitz got his inspiration from, but it sounds awfully "Beat" to me, can you dig it?

*****Do you recall an interview with Herby Hancock, where he stated how he goofed (played wrong chord or notes) and Miles came right behind him and made it all perfect; Miles thought that was what Herby intended to play. Improvisation is spontaneous, there is nothing predetermined about it.*****

How did Miles know Herbie had messed up?   He must have broken some musical rule that was easily noticed by another musician, who being a great player, just made it all right.  And also, how did Herbie know Miles had covered his mistake?   Maybe they spoke the same language.

Cheers

Listing artists, not particular discs:

Carla Bley
Gary Burton 
Stan Getz
Charlie Haden
Jim Hall
Modern Jazz Quartet
Thelonius Monk 
Gerry Mulligan 

Improvisation -- for me that can be expressed several ways.

The classical pianist may read the notes on the score for a Beethoven sonata and play every one of them without error.  Still, their rendition will not likely sound like another pianist.  They may vary the tempo, either overall or by intervals.  They may insert pauses or hold sustain.  They may play some passages (or notes) louder or softer.  They are following the score (at least the notes) but they are performing with their personal emotion and thus interpretation.  Are they not improvising for self expression?

Similarly a jazz pianist will play notes familiar enough that the song is recognizable, at least for the opening and ending bars.  But they may also take the same personal interpretation steps with those segments, while adding more spontaneous intervals of some length through the middle.  And unless it is "free jazz", those spontaneous intervals will follow certain "rules", the strict and predetermined framework of form and harmony frogman referenced.  Otherwise the other musicians in the group could not follow them, nor could the audience.  Still, there is great freedom within that framework, and the best musicians create something new and exciting with each playing.  That is their improvisation.

And this is why I find some connection with bluegrass.  The lead musicians are following a somewhat similar format as the jazz artists.  The main difference may be their frameworks are more limited or restrictive.  The still improvise, just not to the wide extent or with as many variations as jazz musicians.

More than speaking English, Previn and Peterson conversed easily because they spoke a similar musical language.  So it flowed, had cohesion and energy, and was entertaining.  Jazz artists communicate the same way musically.  One does not know exactly what the other will play (say) next, but if it follows the predetermined framework then they can respond in a way that makes sense and hopefully builds upon that.  I think it was simply Miles' talent that allowed him to carry on following Hancock who'd broken the rules of that framework, so that was a testimony to him.  Not every good musician could have done that.

At least as a non-musician that's how I see it. 
It's not the note you play that is the wrong note, It's the note afterwards that makes it right or wrong. 

Miles