Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
pryso, excellent account of the music and the players at the Mingus Dynasty concert.  I agree with you about Cruz.  Fantastic drummer.  If you like modern jazz with a dose of Latin check out his work with pianist Danilo Perez; excellent.  Interesting observation about the two Russian born players.  I would say that a few decades ago there was some truth to the stereotype about jazz players from Europe and the East (with some exceptions, of course).  But I think it is no longer the case and it’s a testament to the fact that jazz is gaining popularity and not going anywhere.  Glad you liked the show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KK__zBHnSc
O-10, my intention was not to make an assessment about your musical tastes. I think you may have misinterpreted what I wrote. My point was that, if anything, some jazz fans don’t go back far enough in time; or look to the future. Not quite sure what the Julliard thing has to do with the subject at hand. I would just point out that the recent clip of “Moanin” which was deemed “better than the original” was of a performance by players many of whom are conservatory trained. An asset not a liability. On a more personal note, I would sincerely encourage you to not be so pessimistic about the future of jazz. It will persevere and benefits from our support for its future.

**** one foot in the past and one in the future-**** ps

Exactly!

Frogman, in response to: Juilliard was in reference to a musical institute of higher learning. We could have substituted your favorite school, there was no "subterfuge" in my post, it was direct.

Those three clips I posted was honoring "Pepper Adams", and Rok made the statement that "Night in Tunisia" sounded better than the original, since I knew what he meant, I agreed.

Conservatory trained is an absolute asset; musicians that were not, would have, if they could have; gone to a conservatory.

Those musicians did a marvelous job of "imitating" the original; Ronnie Cuber did an especially good job of imitating Pepper Adams; but having the ability for the original improvisation is what counts. That clip was my mistake, it should have been Mingus and Pepper Adams.

A large photograph of Pepper Adams appears in Baroness Pannonica De Koenigswarter's book.  Commonly known as "Nica", she was a patron of jazz musicians of her era; that large photograph is a statement that speaks for itself.

Her book "Three Wishes", is a compilation of photographs of jazz legends, and their three wishes in life.

In response to your "encouragement", I have both feet plus body and soul in the past; "short timers" count every second, and I don't have any to waste.

O-10, thanks for your response. For the sake of hopefully interesting discussion:

What makes you think that Cuber was imitating Adams? He was not. He was improvising around the music AS WRITTEN by Mingus bringing his own style to it. He sounded very different from Pepper. Also, why do you assume that the “new generation” of players are not improvising? You seem to be suggesting that only the players from the past improvised. Obviously, not so. Different, yes; and in some ways more harmonically advanced. Anyone of us may not like this newer, harmonically thornier style, but it is certainly spontaneous improvisation and it is the nature of this music to build on what came before it. I look forward to your comments.