Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
mary_jo, thanks for your comments.

**** It is as if you are saying: If the unknown one had been good enough (meaning great), we would have heard about him for sure. ****

Well, that is exactly what I am saying.  Now, to be clear, we are talking about comparison to the greatest.  Was there some unknown player in some little town that was of the exalted caliber of Miles or Trane that chose to remain anonymous, or ”didn’t get the breaks” to become well known during his lifetime or at some point after?  I suppose it’s possible that there has been an example or two of musicians with that POTENTIAL who, for personal reasons didn’t want the limelight; but I seriously doubt it for the reasons mentioned previously.  A player needs to be in playing settings that push him to full potential; staying in obscurity doesn’t allow that.  Moreover, part of what drives a creative artist is the need to express himself; so.....
“if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?”

Let me try and explain what I mean this way, and let’s try and look at the issue in concrete terms and not just the abstract.  Again, I am always glad to learn of some lesser known player.  It’s always interesting and sometimes adds to the historical context.  This is not a reflection at all of how I feel about Alex’s focus (sometimes) on lesser known players. I appreciate the posts very much and have enjoyed much of the music.  However, to be frank, I can’t think of a single one that has been posted who has caused me to think, based on MY feeling about the quality of the playing relative to most of the well known players of the same instrument, ”hey, he could have been a Miles or Morgan or....”.   

Concrete, not abstract, question for you or anyone else:  who and how/why?

Interesting 'sounds'.   Nothing more.   No drums, no horns, no piano.

You read my mind in a sense.  I was going to submit a post "man can't live on bebop alone".    But My clip would have been of the 'Fairfield Four'.     You stole my thunder.

Cheers

I think that I have all albums that I have posted here, and my personal feeling is that those ’underrated’ players are great ’spice’ to my (any) collection, simple beacuse it would be quite boring to have, perhaps only 20,30 ’great’ names, no matter that each of them could ’force’ you to have 50 of their records. After all, even among the ’greats’ not all of the recordings are worth having. But, its a matter of taste and the way each of us listen or buys records. I like to have broad selection but still, every now and than, think that I have nothing to listen...But wanted to point out, in ’defense’ to those ’forgotten’ players, that often lots of them made just one or two recordings as a leader, due to different, mostly unfortunate circumstances of their lives. So, we will never know and there is no point to speculate could they become ’great’ one day or not, but for me they are also an essential part of jazz, in the way I imagine it. Than again it was quite funny (or sad?) to read Frogman’s posted lists....it looks that jazz in general is slowly (or it is already) going to be forgotten....

Here is King Flemming trio...
https://youtu.be/d7o4j1vqxsM
https://youtu.be/KkcNUxien4Q
Post removed