Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Irony of ironies Mary_jo; I don't guess you knew that you posted one of Rok's most favorite tunes?  Compared to What.
Very nice!!  Dig the people working in the kitchen.   They seem oblivious to the entire thing. :)  She comes across as a genuinely nice person.   This is at homeless shelter type place.   What a thoughtful thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUsgnI78VXw

Cheers
rok, I was driving to an audio club gathering Sunday morning when I heard "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" on my favored FM jazz station on the car radio and thought I should post a link later as it seemed to fit so well with recent discussions here.  But I was away all day so very pleased to see you had the same idea.

Now, not to continue thumping on the deceased equine but I need to comment on o10's calling "you seem to say that Billie's rough life helped her as a singer." as "BS".  I wouldn't say "helped her" but I have little doubt her "rough" experiences had a huge impact on her adult personality, sensitivity, and general perspective on life.  And that must have come out in the ways she expressed herself in her singing.  That is not to suggest she would not have been successful and admired had she not be introduced into prostitution for example, only that that experience added to who she was so became an element of her emotions and sensitivities later in life. 

On another subject, o10 you suggest a question I don't remember asking myself.  Did Miles and Jamal ever record or perform together?  I'm not aware if they did.  If not, a little surprising if they were good friends.

@p

***** I wouldn't say "helped her" but I have little doubt her "rough" experiences had a huge impact on her adult personality, sensitivity, and general perspective on life.  And that must have come out in the ways she expressed herself in her singing.*****

I agree.   We are all products of our environment and life experiences.   Well said.

Cheers