Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Interesting about "In A Silent Way".  I'd been listening to Miles for at least 10 years when that was released, but I loved it immediately.  Maybe my ears were softened because I already enjoyed non-heavy metal rock?  That pleasure continued with "Bitches Brew".  But a couple more electronic Miles albums and it wore thin for me and I quit buying his latest releases.

A funny story, which I expect was duplicated many times around the country.  Around '72 or '73 I attended a Miles concert at our local civic auditorium (my preference for smaller venue performances was no longer possible because of his popularity).  When we walked in the curtain was open to expose an array of mics and speakers spread across the stage.  When the musicians came out everyone plugged in except the drummer (who already had fixed mics).  The audience didn't boo or throw things but at least half walked out by intermission.  We stayed and enjoyed the entire performance.

Wish I could find a video of Macero at a studio Monk recording session to share.  I thought that was a bit embarrassing the way he acted, putting on a black jive routine when greeting Monk.

Like ghosthouse I'm not particularly a fan of boxed compilations but I was not aware either of the production of "In A Silent Way" so that would be interesting.
Is this it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0k4Y7sDTM2U

This one picks up at 2:09 of the previous clip:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=In16H9J72HY

Men at work:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OyfEddS41nM

Re your reaction to Macero’s greeting of Monk: I don’t entirely disagree, but would point out that Macero was a player before he was a producer and who played with a lot of those guys.  He was one of "the cats".  Musicians, black and white, have a certain looseness around each other that may seem politically incorrect, but is part of their rapport. It is true that a lot of white musicians appropriated a lot of the "style" of black players both musically and socially. Not as obvious, but it went the other way too sometimes. Notice Macero’s reaction to Miles’ calling him a "white motherf€£%r" in one of the earlier clips...he laughed about it. Btw, the term "motherf€£%r", or usually, "bad motherf€£%r" was and is still an accepted way among jazz players of referring to a really great player....or really great pants 😎.

Thanks for the story; wish I’d been there.

Frogman and Pryso; while a certain language was acceptable "on the street", I think a "black jive routine" was probably unacceptable when introducing someone of Monk's stature.

Did anyone notice how uncomfortable Charley Rouse made Monk when asking about the notes. What Monk wanted to say was "You a jazzman, put the horn up to your mouth and blow."

Thanks for those clips Frogman.
Hey frog, yes that's the one and you found it quickly.  Thanks for posting.

The "black jive routine" was just my description of Macero's attempt at being cool and looking the fool.  And yes I know he had some serious musical credits, which I assume led to becoming a producer at Columbia.  But he simply looks awkward here and possibly even uncomfortable so tries to cover it up by overdoing weak humor.

True point about Monk.  He picked his sidemen based upon expected production, if they were good enough they would work it out for themselves.  Some were selected and put on stage without even one rehearsal.  Man, you'd better have your stuff together! ;^)

And I'm certainly familiar with the connotations of the bad MF label.

This is the conclusion of the convoluted events that occurred just the other day involving "In a Silent Way"

in 1969 "Fusion" wasn't even considered jazz, consequently, I bought it by mistake, as many of Miles fans did. It got on my "playlist" not too long ago when I archived Vinyl to "hard drive". Although I have owned that record for many years, it just didn't fall into the category of records to be played.

It's incredible how much an individual's taste can change in almost 40 years. It got on my "playlist" because it was a vinyl album in exquisite shape because it hadn't been played much, it was a good candidate for archiving.

Some people make a playlist for a day, my playlist consists of all my favorite records, the only order it has is going from one decade to the next. My days consisted of trying to find something productive to do, (now I can barely take care of necessities) while the music played in the background.

Each time the music came up (In a Silent Way) I liked it, but didn't know what it was; not until I descended Mt. Everest, guess you get the picture now.