Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Let's not be too literal, I meant the level. That's the reason why I listen to relatively few recordings.

Threads are meant for people to have a conversation on the same subject; so I noticed you still haven't commented on a musical post that was meant for you; why not, if you don't mind my asking?
Appreciate the comments about the Bill Connors.

To that by the ever-gracious and incisive Inna "...it’s Manhattan restaurant music.", I’ll add "and very well served, not to mention delicious."

O - Glad you noted the piano. On a number of tracks, I was struck by the quality of solos on that instrument (Bill O’Connell the pianist as credited in the All About Jazz writeup).

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/return-bill-connors-tone-center-review-by-john-kelman.php

Frogman - In line with your comments, I thought Connors was very generous with the space allowed his sidemen.

O - About the introductory bass figure that Horace Silver enjoyed using, it’s not exactly the same thing BUT I think I hear something of a similar tendency in his Song for My Father. This one is of interest to me because as I only recently discovered (probably the last human on earth to learn about it) Fagen and Becker "borrowed" Silver’s intro virtually intact for "Rikki Don’t Lose that Number" (single from their Pretzel Logic album). On the off chance I wasn’t last, you might be amused to hear their use of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQjNHzaxfQc&ab_channel=SteelyDan-Topic

Want to say, in partial agreement with Inna...I don’t completely "get" Joe Zawinul. I like the first 2 Weather Report albums and admire his work as a sideman (e.g., on In a Silent Way), But later Weather Report? the more I listen to those various albums the shallower they seem to get. The Zawinul Syndicate video...mad mad percussion and rhythm talents but Z riffing over some chord changes doesn’t seem that wonderful to me. Maybe I didn’t listen into it for long enough. Apologies to any that are great fans of JZ, I do not wish to offend and don’t expect my O-pinion does anything to diminish his standing (nor would I want it to). Just expressing my "bewilderment" (too strong a word, really). OK - that’s my sermon for this Sunday.

This is one of my favorite, but Mingus's least played records. That solo by Jackie McLean on alto sax has to be one of his best ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6GkA54n_Q