Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@dlcockrum - 
Was traveling and unable to reply promptly but a belated "THANKS" for the Bruce Katz "Transformation" recommendation.  Found it on Tidal.  I'm enjoying the music (melodious, accessible yet not superficial) and the sonics are great.  Excellent recording all around.    

Returning the favor (perhaps)...
you might enjoy "The New Standard" by Jamie Saft.  Here are two sample tracks (7 & 8):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvi4iKz-AOI&ab_channel=JamieSaft-Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKzC8DrGGw&ab_channel=JamieSaft-Topic

I do prefer the tonal balance of the Transformation recording vs The New Standard.  Bass and drums in TNS sound a bit heavy handed to me.   

A curiosity...I was struck by a similarity in the opening (and repeated) organ riff used in Track 2 of Transformation and that used in Bubblehouse from Medeski Martin & Wood's "Shack-man".  Had wondered who borrowed from whom, but given Transformation apparently dates from 1994 and Shack-man from 1996, I'm guessing John Medeski was the "borrower".  Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGWjkIm7JaU&ab_channel=fujenti

Depending on draw back power for re-listening, Transformation might have to be a purchase.  Thanks again.
It’s difficult for players of this caliber to make a record that is less than good. Sometimes the stars align and there such a high level of musical synergy that the playing is exceptional and truly inspired. This is one of those records, imo. Interesting in that it is the product of two different sessions and two different rhythm sessions with Philly Joe Jones being the one constant and he sounds incredible. The writing is exceptional and the soloing always tells an interesting story.  Check out "Carolyn" by Lee Morgan; what a great and interesting tune! One of the best recordings of classic jazz that I have ever heard. Badass jazz:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUJ7V33M1wR14_Yqgv0AwCaCxxKXSKbOu
frogman-that is some good stuff. Just plain....cool.

It also reminds me of something you might hear in a B/W film noir crime movie.

O- I was unwinding this evening with "Wes  Montgomery in the wee small hours."
Reading the back cover, I discovered Kenny Burrell is a sideman. 

Only Wes and maybe a couple guys can make a "songwriter" tune -"Somewhere" from West Side Story, just sound beautiful. I'm not into orchestra backed tunes, and Wes is essentially just playing the vocal lines with single notes. Really, there's nothing going on here, but the times Wes isnt being "Wes" it STILL sounds good!

This is one of those albums Jazz purists discount since it's full of orchestration.
I think this is one of his "paycheck" albums. 

Glad you liked it; it’s a real classic. That particular issue of the record includes two alternate takes and that is the reason I posted that version; the original does not. That clip I posted suggests that Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan were co-leaders on the date. They were not, it was Mobley’s date, but it’s interesting to note that Morgan contributed half the tunes on the record. Some of my favorite Lee Morgan on record. He sounds fantastic and I find the contrast between his fiery style and Donald Byrd’s more "careful" approach very interesting.

You mention Leonard Bernstein. Next year (actually beginning August of this year) will see the centennial celebration of Bernstein, one of the (perhaps the) greatest American composers (not to mention conductor and educator). Fantastic musician whose music bridges the gaps between Classical, Jazz and pop. Iconic figure in music. I agree with you about that version of "Somewhere"; just beautiful. This is one of my favorite Bernstein tunes from one of my favorite records:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0enbmhunOoo

And, of course:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLoaL3AV63h0NdjdUwmwKsSG2mih1T6rNb&v=YxkJ4_Gpxoo

West Side Story is a musical with a book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and conception and choreography by Jerome Robbins.[1] It was inspired by William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.

The story is set in the Upper West Side neighborhood in New York City in the mid-1950s, an ethnic, blue-collar neighborhood (in the early 1960s much of the neighborhood would be cleared in an urban renewal project for the Lincoln Center, changing the neighborhood's character).[2][3] The musical explores the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds. The members of the Sharks, from Puerto Rico, are taunted by the Jets, a white gang.[4] The young protagonist, Tony, a former member of the Jets and best friend of the gang leader, Riff, falls in love with Maria, the sister of Bernardo, the leader of the Sharks. The dark theme, sophisticated music, extended dance scenes, and focus on social problems marked a turning point in American musical theatre. Bernstein's score for the musical includes "Something's Coming", "Maria", "America", "Somewhere", "Tonight", "Jet Song", "I Feel Pretty", "A Boy Like That", "One Hand, One Heart", "Gee, Officer Krupke", and "Cool".

The original 1957 Broadway production, directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins and produced by Robert E. Griffith and Harold Prince, marked Sondheim's Broadway debut. It ran for 732 performances before going on tour. The production was nominated for six Tony Awards including Best Musical in 1957,[5] but the award for Best Musical went to Meredith Willson's The Music Man. Robbins won the Tony Award for his choreography and Oliver Smith won for his scenic designs. The show had an even longer-running London production, a number of revivals and international productions. A 1961 musical film of the same name, directed by Robert Wise and Robbins, starred Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer, Rita Moreno, George Chakiris and Russ Tamblyn. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards and won ten, including George Chakiris for Supporting Actor, Rita Moreno for Supporting Actress, and Best Picture.

Before it was a play or movie, it was an LP with just beautiful music.