Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman, I really appreciate your 'inside' comments, there is no reason why I should not believe you. It would be interesting if somebody could come up with some material where perhaps Dizzy was faced with question or comment about it, meaning why he emphasized one 'style' of playing over another
"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins." - Dizzy Gillespie 

"How do I know why Miles walks off the stage? Why don't you ask him? And besides, maybe we'd all like to be like Miles, and just haven't got the guts." - Dizzy Gillespie

Similar to being a combat infantryman, the guy who got a Silver Star yesterday is hiding behind a tree today . We all have good and bad days, there are no heroes .
Hi Alex - I just caught up with this thread again, and wanted to chime in on Dizzy, being a professional brass player myself.  Everything Frogman has said is true, and he explains it about as well as it can be explained to a layman.  Dizzy was self-taught, and quite frankly had a terrible embouchure (the way we shape our mouths and the muscles around it to play) - in fact, he is very often used as the textbook example of how not to form an embouchure - any beginning brass player is told not to look like that while playing, with the cheeks all puffed out like he did - this is extremely inefficient - the air is bunching up in his cheeks and is not getting into the instrument, hence the thin sound Frogman accurately described (and there are plenty of other problems directly associated with it as well, but more technical than anyone is going to want to read about here). Again, this is not to say that he couldn't play the trumpet.  But it is to say that he was not a particularly good trumpet player, especially as we are comparing him to other professional players - he was a fantastic musician, but these are not the same things.  There is only so far one can develop as a player of an instrument if one's basic fundamentals are that flawed, no matter how good a musician one is in other respects.   Though many musicians don't like them, perhaps an athletic analogy is appropriate here.  There is only so far a baseball pitcher can go if his basic throwing motions are flawed.  Perhaps an even better comparison might be to swimming - the better your technique with each stroke, the better  you will swim.  Anyone can learn to swim, and pretty much anyone can be taught to make a sound on a brass instrument - you could teach a monkey to make a  loud noise on a brass instrument.  But you couldn't teach him to play soft with great control...hope all this makes some sense.  

Dizzy might have wasted air, but I don't believe in wasting words.

" Again, this is not to say that he couldn't play the trumpet. But it is to say that he was not a particularly good trumpet player, especially as we are comparing him to other professional players". So say's the "Learsfool".

That was the umpteenth bogus "Jazz" statement made by "Learsfool"- he was a fantastic musician, but these are not the same.

After that, he gets even more bogus, and ends his whole "bogus summation" with "I hope this all makes sense". Yes it does all make sense; it makes "Frog sense".

Learsfool, are you sure your on the right thread; this is "Jazz For Aficionados".