Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I can't imagine that there are any recordings by Herbie NOT available on CD.  I can't speak to which are the best sounding CDs as I have most of his early ones on LP.  However, some of my favorites music-wise and that any fan should own are (you already have two of the best):

"Takin Off"
"Speak Like A Child"
"Headhunters" 
"Gershwin' World"
"The New Standard"

Dizzy Gilespie had a very long and interesting career in jazz, and not for one single moment did he lose me in regard to the music he was playing.

I think it would be interesting to compare Miles and Diz; what do you guys say?

Miles Dewey Davis III (May 26, 1926 – September 28, 1991) was an American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer. He is among the most influential and acclaimed figures in the history of jazz and 20th century music. Davis adopted a variety of musical directions in his five-decade career which kept him at t
John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie (/ɡᵻˈlɛspi/; October 21, 1917 – January 6, 1993) was an American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, composer, and singer.[1]

AllMusic's Scott Yanow wrote, "Dizzy Gillespie's contributions to jazz were huge. One of the greatest jazz trumpeters of all time, Gillespie was such a complex player that his contemporaries ended up copying Miles Davis and Fats Navarro instead, and it was not until Jon Faddis's emergence in the 1970s that Dizzy's style was successfully recreated [....] Arguably Gillespie is remembered, by both critics and fans alike, as one of the greatest jazz trumpeters of all time.

I think we could learn a lot through this exercise; especially since we have a resident musician; what do you say?
The worst thing I ever heard in jazz was the day Dizzy passed.
 On whatever late-night show it was that Ellis M . was band leader, the host
  brought in a soloist to play a  last tribute to Dizzy's greatness .
  Said soloist was one Kenny G , never saw a band sit there so dead-pan.
By the time this album was recorded,in 1980. they all have passed their prime, but none the less, its a still a nice record to hear and have.

Dizzy, Terry, Hubbard on 'The trumpet summit meets Oscar Peterson big four'
https://youtu.be/RvPM2zsSglA

more,an album that was made from previously unrealesed cuts from that same gig
'Alternate blues'
https://youtu.be/dfbpMTf-SuQ