Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

This is considered to be the very latest "jazz" and I'm giving you guys first crack at it. Listen with an open mind, but first listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpm2GTyTW4
Yes, he is very "New Orleanian" - anyone who thinks New Orleans is a SOuthern city, probably also thinks it is an American city.

or a Caribbean city, or a french or Spanish colonial city

I need to hear your clip at home tonight, as the sound on my work computer sounds like cats fighting, however this one is from a very good recording a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gox4XdGbOs

David Weiss may require you to put on your thinking hat, and we know your stance on that, when it comes to Jazz.

Ok, so this may come across as suspect; but, here goes.  In my comments about O-10's David Weiss clip I was going to make the point that the composition sounded like something Wayne Shorter would write.  Finally having a moment to write I noticed Acman3 had posted a clip by Weiss: "Endangered Species/The Music Of Wayne Shorter".  Ha!  He is clearly a Wayne Shorter fan; and it reads in his compositions.  

I like David Weiss a lot.  Frankly I had only heard the recording he did of the music of Herbie Hancock and liked that a lot.  As a trumpet player he is excellent.  His post-hard bop style is clearly coming out of the Miles school and I find his ideas inventive and logical.  As Acman3 says, it may be necessary to put on one's thinking cap as this is not music with the usual familiar harmonies and comfortable cadences of most modern bop; but, very interesting.  The band is excellent and besides Weiss , I particularly liked the guitar playing and drumming.  The only thing that leaves me perplexed is the ending of the tune which sounds as if the pause button was hit a couple of seconds too soon.  I found one other clip on line and it ends the same way, so it must be as intended.  Curious, and a little jarring; but, that is what music is intended to be sometimes.  Good stuff.

Thanks for that clip O-10.  I must say that while I may be reading too much into this I find your putting the word "jazz" in quotes to suggest that you may not think that this is jazz.  I would also add that this is clearly current and "latest" jazz, but just one example of many new voices in current jazz.  

When we started using that description of "jazz jazz" to denote the music in a certain time frame, it seemed agreeable to everyone, but in hindsight it was a mistake, because jazz evolves like everything else. Recently I got a new car, and it's "star Trek" compared to the old one; I don't know if I will ever be able to operate all the buttons.

Although this music has evolved, I haven't; guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Enjoy the music.